Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Adventures in a Whole New Fruit


I decided to go the grocery store to pick up a new fruit that I haven’t tried yet. Like I said in my persuasive essay I bring my own lunch and snacks to school and work every day. I bring apples bananas and oranges and other familiar things. When this assignment came up I became very eager to find something new that I haven’t tried before. The first thing I did was go to the produce section of H-E-B looking for something that I have not seen before. I came across a fruit called a plumcot. I thought this was very interesting and I asked one of the employees and he wasn’t even quite sure. After we found a manager he informed both of us how it is a cross between a plum and an apricot, and that is why it is called a plumcot. It looks to me like a plum but has the same smell of a sweet apricot. I was very eager to try it. I planned to eat it raw and unseasoned due to the fact that it was going to become a new item in my lunchbox. When I cut it up it was very juicy and a maroon color like the outside and very soft. I was surprised about the texture of the plumcot when I was eating it. I was not anticipating the Skin to be harder with an almost slippery center. It is defiantly a taste that you have to get accustom to however; I do plan on taking with me as a snack for my lunch box in the future.  I donot plan on using it in a recipe though just because there isn’t a whole lot that you can do with them that I know of other than eating them raw.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I saw this too at H-E-B and wondered about it. Do you know of any background information about this fruit? Do you know of any recipes that it could be used in? Also, have you tried plums and apricots before? If so, how would you say they compared?

    ReplyDelete