Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cheese Affairs


           
 Food Tasting
 I decided this taste test would be most successful with a type of food that I don’t eat on a normal basis. I figured that trying a new food product was going to be interesting and I was bound to find my favorite choice out of the three. As I was going up and down the aisles at Wal-Mart I couldn’t decide on what would be a great choice for this particular assignment but I ended up in the dairy section where I saw a large variety of cheeses.  Looking at all the colors and different versions made me realize this taste test would be perfect for cheese. After looking at all the ingredients and different packaging my final decision was blue cheese. I rounded up three different versions of blue cheese and headed home to see what I got myself into.
            My first attempt at creating this taste test was to find another person who would tell me their opinion. I knew I needed to conceal any trace of the product brand so my set up for the taste test was to put all three versions of cheeses onto a plate with crackers and some traces of lettuce and tomato to add some color.
           
            The first sample of blue cheese was in small individual wrappers and when I unfolded them I discovered the cheese had more of a yogurt texture to it and it looked like sour cream but was more stable. I liked the texture of this cheese because I was able to spread it easily on a bagel and crackers.
            The second blue cheese was crumbled and had a very similar smell, texture and color to regular feta cheese. The difference was this blue cheese fell apart much faster and once it did the cheese got everywhere. This cheese would be great in a salad or be a great addition to a pasta salad.
            The second cheese had a very similar smell to rotten milk. The cheese was in aluminum wrapping and was a very think substance. It was the most difficult to cut through. If I couldn’t get past the smell I don’t think I would like this blue cheese at all.
            I had my grandpa help me on this taste test, which was not the best idea because he is somewhat of a picky eater and only sticks to what he knows, but he was willing to try. We both tried the first sample of blue cheese and immediately my grandpa spit it out. I on the other hand found it to taste very smooth, like cream cheese. I also enjoyed the taste it gave to the cracker.
            The second tasting of blue cheese was worse than the first one for my grandpa and he had the exact same reaction. I thought the cheese was by far the most appealing in smell, taste and smell because it was more like regular cheese than like blue cheese. The last sample of blue cheese was more of a challenge to get through because the taste was so sour and the smell was extremely harsh because of how aged the cheese is. Out of all the cheeses I thought the second cheese was the best because it was the most appealing in taste and appearance. The last cheese we tried is only a one-time buy, too aged for my taste, but others could argue differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment