Thursday, June 21, 2012

Turkish Figs


       



     Everybody has heard of and probably tried fig newtons, but I'm not so sure about many trying figs. Specifically turkish figs without the cookie around it. I reluctantly decided on trying turkish figs mainly because of the convenience. I say “reluctantly”, because the appearance of the fig was somewhat intimidating. Although, at least I didn't have to go to a farmer's market to find it, they had it at HEB, and it was something I had never tried before.
     After finding this peculiar fruit in the grocery store I did a little research on it, and found that it was quite impressive nutritionally! Turkish figs are very very high in calcium. It has over a 100 more mg of calcium per serving than a serving of whole milk does! Therefore, for women, who are apparently usually low in calcium, figs would be a great source for.



     The appearance of a Turkish fig wasn't very appealing, in fact I was a little afraid of trying it. (I'm usually not afraid of any foods!) On the outside it was light brown and very wrinkly. I'm use to my fruit's skin having a normal smooth texture, like an apple or pear! The smell also gave me a red flag. Putting my nose to it, it took me awhile to identify the smell, and then it came to me: Lucas powder! Smelt practically identical to it! I sliced it open, and found the inside of the fruit to be quite peculiar. This fruit had the most seeds I had ever seen inside of a fruit! Dozens of tiny circular white seeds filled it's gelatinous sticky insides. The fruit was dry, so I expected the inside not to be juicy like my usual favorite fruits. The filling was dark brown, thick and very sticky as it coated the inside wall of the fruit, forming a sort of cocoon- like inside.


   
     Sucking up my courage, I sunk my teeth into this small cocoon- like fruit. Immediately, the flavor surprised me, it was quite sweet despite the salty lucas scent. It was very similar to the taste of syrup. The texture just much more thicker, and not melt in your mouth like syrup. Chewing it felt really strange! It was like chewing bubble gum, except with a crunch because of the tiny little seeds, and the chewiness of the wrinkly skin.
     The taste wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't all that great for me either. I found a popular and simple way to prepare the fruit online. All it called for was putting chopped nuts and honey inside the fruit, which was very easy to do. I just chopped off the tip of the fruit and inserted chopped peanuts and honey inside, between the thick filling.



     The honey gave the fruit an extra burst of flavor. The sweetness of the honey paired very well with the molasses flavor of the fruit. The nuts gave it an extra crunch, adding another texture, and the flavor of nuts also made it more interesting. I enjoyed it much more prepared this way than eating it plain because of the extra flavor.
     Although, overall, for me, turkish figs just wasn't all that great. It just doesn't make my taste buds happy! Will I ever buy turkish figs again? Maybe. It has what I would call an “acquired taste”. Therefore, whenever I'm wanting something different than my usual fruits and snacks, I might pick up a pack of turkish figs again.
     If you want to know more about turkish figs, or are interested in knowing more ways to prepare it, you'll find the link below very helpful!



No comments:

Post a Comment