Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Creamy Lemon Cheesecake Pie


This last weekend, my mom decided to start going through her pile of recipes that she has collected over the years - some that she has made, and others that she had planned to try, but hasn't yet.  This was lucky for me, with this assignment right around the corner.  I pored over the piles with her, trying to find a recipe to try, and finally chose something called Creamy Lemon Cheesecake Pie.  I enjoy baking, and this pie sounded cool and delicious.  Plus, it had the words cheesecake AND pie in it.  I was eager to try it.  It was on the back of a Honey Maid graham cracker crust label that she had saved.  My mom said that her step mother Ruth used to say that any recipe on the label of a product was likely to be a good one, because companies wouldn't want to put a bad recipe on their product, since they want you to buy more of their products, not less of them.  The recipe can also be found here online: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/8183081/creamy-lemon-cheesecake-pie/

I set the cream cheese out in the morning before I went to work, so they would be nice and soft when I came home, to start the baking process.   I then mixed the cream cheese until it was soft, with a mixer.  After that, I added the sugar.  Then, for the lemon part, I used a grater to grate the lemon peel for the pie.  After I had accumulated a teaspoon of that, I cut the lemon in half, and using a juicer, squeezed fresh lemon juice.  I added those to the bowl, and after that, the eggs.  Then finally, the mixture was ready to put in the pie crust.  Naturally, this recipe calls for a Honey Maid graham cracker pie crust, though you could probably use other kinds.  After I poured it into the crust, I put the pie in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. 

After it was done cooking, I tested the middle to see if it was done.  I gave it 5 more minutes, and after that, it looked done, so I took it out of the oven, and let it cool for a while.  It had set and browned over the top, and basically looked like a cheesecake, in a pie crust.  Then, I put it in the fridge, and let it chill overnight. 

The next morning, I tasted the pie.  It was really good, and it was creamy, rich, and dense like cheesecake, with just a little bit of lemon flavor.  My mom tried it and said she really liked it, but that she could have gone for a little more lemon flavor, as she really likes lemon.  So if I ever make it again sometime, perhaps I might add a little more lemon.  I also asked my brother to try some and give his opinion.  His response was, "Already did.  I think it won't last very long!" 

This was a fun recipe because it was fairly easy to make, and delicious as well.  It didn't require a whole lot of work, but the finished product impressed my family, and everyone really enjoyed it.  And as my brother said, it won't be in our fridge for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment