Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Recipe Review


A couple of years ago my aunt put together a cookbook with some of my grandma’s recipes. I look through it often and have made some of the recipes from this cookbook. I chose a family recipe for my “Recipe Review” assignment. It’s one of my grandma’s recipes called “Sticky Chicken.” Below you will see a picture of the recipe from the cookbook.



My aunt said they called it “Sticky Chicken” because it would stick to their fingers when they would eat it. You’ll see the note where she referenced it in memory lane of the recipe picture. I was excited to try this recipe. It’s one I haven’t tried to make until now. It wasn’t hard to make but time consuming with the steps. It took a while for the oil to cool down before you can remove it from the pan.

Note: I only used five chicken thighs. The whole chicken would be too much for just two people, my husband and myself.  My grandma had nine children, so it made sense for the whole chicken in her recipe. 

The ingredients are items easy to find and is usually in one’s pantry. They’re not very expensive. My grandparents were farmers and lived in the country. My grandpa would only buy groceries on Saturday mornings. If they ran out something during the week, they made do until the weekly grocery trip to town. They also raised chickens for food, so they didn’t even buy the chicken from the store. 

Salt and pepper chicken on both sides

Next, coat chicken on both sides and set aside

Heat the cup of shortening in the skillet on medium heat

Gently place chicken into the skillet and fry quickly brown on both sides

Drain on paper towel lined plate 

Pour off grease from the pan (Note: wait until the grease cools completely) 

Return chicken to the skillet.

Heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender. 



This is a picture of the final product from this recipe. It was delicious and I will be making it again. The recipe is easy to follow through the entire process. 

Note: The directions doesn't say where to use the half cup of water. After making this recipe I figured out it goes into the pan when you return the chicken to skillet and before simmering, covering, and cooking for 20 minutes. It helps to keep the chicken from burning and sticking to the pan. 




I paired it with some homemade chicken flavored rice and side salad that consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. It was delicious and did stick to my fingers while eating it! 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Denise, I like how you embraced your grandmother's recipe, the chicken looks really good. I've only made chicken once in my life, but I was curious of what it is that made the chicken sticky? Was it a specific ingredient? Or because of the golden skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roland, I think it's the crispy skin in the first part of the recipe. Then when you place it back into the skillet, add the water cover and simmer this part of the cooking process makes it sticky. It did stick to my fingers while eating it.

      Delete
  2. Hello Denise! I'm so glad you enjoyed trying out your grandma's recipe. I was wondering how much you enjoyed the taste of the chicken just by following the recipe alone. Was the taste perfect for you or did you feel like it needed more seasoning or could potentially pair well with any sauce? The chicken already looks absolutely amazing, but I was just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devin, I wouldn't change anything from the recipe. It was delicious just they way the recipe says to prepare it. I've learned over the years never to substitute anything from my grandma's recipes.

      Delete