Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Resturant Review: Panda Express

 

Today I chose to visit Panda Express for the first time in my life. As seen above, the place was very difficult to find. It seemed as an outlier hidden in the corner of a strip center, as seen in the second photo, out of plain sight. The only two recognizable spots were the Ross outlet and a Chuck E Cheese that were both connected on the same strip center. I’ve heard so much buzz and always wanted to dabble into Panda Express but could never locate one in the Clear Lake area of Houston where I happen to stay. I have passed by this area numerous times and was never able to notice it.

The building was hut-like shaped and wasn’t the most decorative and intriguing to enter. The interior was more of the same as the outside, but the fresh air hits you as you immediately walk in the door. You could smell the cooking and grilling of meat and vegetables.

 

I was also greeted by a servant with a polite “Hello” upon my entry. It felt like a friendly and soothing environment. As I approached the line to begin my order, about all dozen of the servants were wearing masks. While I respect them protecting my and their safety, this made the process a lot harder than it needed to be. I couldn’t understand my servant half the time and I was required to repeat myself multiple times because they couldn’t hear me with the cooking happening right behind the counter.

First impression of the menu appeared as a word search. Since I have never been here before, I really had no idea what any dish was. Along with having no pictures on the menu, I quickly disregarded it and just viewed what was offered on the counter. You first decide what type of serving you want. I wanted to get a decent serving but not an overly expensive one. I decided to go with a regular plate with two entrees and one side. This was $9.00 on the menu which is about the same price as the little Chinese mall spots that provide the same thing for a total of $10, so this came out to be about the same price with tax. This Panda Express showcases different variations of chicken, steaks, beef and vegetable sides. Each pot looked to have a fresh batch of each selection that smelled really tasty. I chose to go with Chow Mein noodles, black pepper chicken, orange chicken, and a side of broccoli. I strangely noticed “Honey Walnut Shrimp” on the menu; haven’t encountered that food before, however I do like shrimp so this might be worth the try in the future.

                                                                                  


Once I sat down to eat, the food smelled very delicious, my servant had It very well prepared and not jumbled together all over the plate. I tried both chickens with a bite of noodles and it tasted great. Each bite was full of flavor while the meat was cooked perfectly, and the orange chicken wasn’t too crunchy or too soggy. My meal had a different kick to it that’s just a little better than the mall places and any other Chinese cuisine I’ve had. I could definitely see myself ordering another plate again, maybe a large plate next time. If that was just the beginning and a lucky choice of entrees on my part, then I can only imagine what the other choices are like.

Overall, I think this trip was a major success and worth the adventure. The quality of the food and the service was good enough and not the most painful. I will definitely be back for a second round if I can find the place and don’t happen to miss it again.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Roland I agree with you about the locations and the parking dilemma. I've only been to this change a couple of times. The access outside was a little weird. The food was great though and like you said reasonably priced too! You're entrée looked amazing and could see myself ordering it too. The Honey Walnut Shrimp sounds so good. I may have to make a trip to New Braunfels to try this one out some day soon. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roland I agreed with you the food always smell good and most of it is good I don't really eat everything from there but I know it's a lot of good food especially the oranges. chicken with rice is a beautiful combo I loved reading what you had to say and will be trying the meal you posted very soon.

    - Nakoven

    ReplyDelete