Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Restaurant Review: Alamo Biscuit Co. & Panaderia

 

Honey Chicken Biscuit


    If you're looking for a place to enjoy freshly baked, fluffy, southern biscuits in the San Antonio area, Alamo Biscuit Co. & Panaderia might just be the place for you. Located at 9630 Huebner Rd, this little cafe is just a few minutes up the road from the Huebner Oaks Shopping Center. Which was convenient for my friends and I since we wanted to grab a bite to eat before a day of shopping. Despite the fact that the area is filled with a multitude of different shops and establishments, this restaurant was super easy to find thanks to its distinct sign and silver building.

    Upon entering this restaurant, we were immediately greeted with aromas of various pastries and freshly brewed coffee. Towards the back of the restaurant, a rake of numerous types of pastries can be seen. Pink and white conchas, fruit filled empanadas, and cookies baked with rainbow sprinkles were just a few of the pastries that tempted us on our visit. The restaurant's wood paneled walls are decorated with cheerful signs related to the restaurant, and TVs are mounted in just about every corner for you to enjoy some entertainment. If you'd like to indulge in adult beverages, an outdoor bar is connected to the building off to the right-hand side of the cafe. The bar is also easy to find with a sign that reads “Risk It For The Biscuit” hanging just below strings of patio lights. 

    The service was excellent! With servers that seated you promptly so that you could begin to make the (admittedly difficult) decision as to what you would like to order. Our waitress brought our coffees and water out moments after ordering them, and continued to bring refills when she noticed that our glasses grew emptier. She was attentive to our needs and requests, while also allowing us to take as much time as we’d like to enjoy our meal and company. 

    Like I mentioned earlier, it was admittedly difficult for me to choose what I'd like to order. From options such as chicken and hotcakes, biscuit French toast, and different types of tacos, it definitely took me a while to choose what I’d like to have. I had narrowed my top picks to the chicken and hotcakes and the honey chicken biscuit. I ended up choosing the honey chicken biscuit after my friend graciously promised to let me sample her order of chicken and hotcakes. 

    The food here was better than we had expected! My honey chicken biscuit was the perfect balance of both salty and sweet. The chicken was battered and fried to a crispy state. Despite the chicken being fried, it wasn’t greasy in the slightest. The honey drizzled over it allowed for this syrupy taste to blend along with the salty taste of the chicken, and the biscuits that encompassed it all was the perfect fluffy final touch. That, paired along with lightly salted tater tots, my meal was absolutely delicious! The few bites I had from the chicken and waffles left a lasting impression as well. The flavors of the soft pancake breading also proved itself to be an excellent pairing to the chicken. I’m a sucker for good pancakes, and those few bites alone have convinced me that I need to get my own plate of chicken and hotcakes the next time I find myself in the area.

    My friends and I were highly satisfied with our meals, environment, and overall experience. I would definitely like to return to enjoy more of their savory dishes and welcoming atmosphere.


4 comments:

  1. This entree sounds delicious! It sounds like a fun place to stop in for a bite to eat. I love sweets so I would have left with one to go. Did you or your friend try any of the coffee? Was it reasonably priced? The sweet and salty is always a good pairing of flavors. I'll have to share this cool find with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends and I tried the vanilla latte. The coffee and any refills were actually free!

      Delete
  2. Hi Devin! It's cool that you found this place, it sounds interesting. What time were you there? Was it very busy or were you there when there was not a lot of people? You also said there were quite a few things to choose from like tacos, chicken and hot cakes, and chicken biscuit, do you think there was too many options? If I'm ever in that area I might have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to lunch at 1:00 PM on a Thursday. There were barely any people in the cafe. It was easy to chat comfortably without being overwhelmed by crowds or noise. I didn't think there were too many options. In truth, their menu was smaller compared to other restaurants and cafes. It was more that just about everything on their menu sounded delicious to me. Haha!

      Delete