Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Take-Out Review

 



I chose to get dinner from Little Beijing, as I live in a town of around 10,000 people and it was one of a handful of restaurants I had not already been to. The menu included what one might generally expect from a Chinese restaurant, with things like fried rice, lo mein, kung pao chicken, egg rolls, and egg drop soup. All of which I would personally consider. However, their menu also included things such as coconut curry chicken, black bean jalapeno chicken, and home style bean curd, which might not be on the menu of every Chinese food restaurant. I would personally not consider certain foods on the menu based solely on the fact that I am gluten free and they might contain gluten, such as lo mein or breaded chicken dishes which would contain wheat. I might also hesitate to order anything I might find too spicy.

A family member went to pick up the food together, and we were both aware of the location already, as it is close to my place of work and the grocery store, so it was easy to find. It is also within a short distance of a newly built subdivision. I did choose this restaurant partially because of its easy to find location.

The restaurant itself was clean, though there were few people dining inside. However, this might be due to the fact that we have dinner relatively early compared to some, and we might have missed the dinner rush on top of it also being a weekday. The outside is also clean, but unremarkable, with a large window face and easily readable sign. The appearance neither strongly contributed to or detracted from the decision to order from them. The service on the phone and in the store was good. Staff was friendly and gave us speedy service. 

I ordered beef fried rice with a vegetable spring roll and my family got chicken fried rice, chicken potstickers, and egg drop soup. My first impression of the container was that it was very large, but to be expected of the portions I’ve had at other similar restaurants. It smelled good, especially after a day of eating not much else. I was shocked by just how large the serving was, as it was essentially a standard take out box full. It tasted mild but fresh, with bite sized pieces of both beef and egg and the usual carrot, onion, and peas. I would probably order something different next time, if for nothing else but for more variety and potentially a less intimidating portion, such as the soup and potstickers that my mother ordered.

I would consider ordering again, if for nothing else but convenience as the service never kept us waiting and it is basically next door to my job.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you mentioned that little Beijing is close to you, where is the restaurant located? It definitely looked like a lot of rice in the takeout box, how was the price for what you got? It is pretty cool that they had the things we might generally find but also things that not every place would have like the coconut curry chicken. It looks like a place that might be good to try out.

    ReplyDelete