Thursday, July 25, 2019

Adventures in Carambola


Adventures in Carambola


            For the blog post, I decided to take a trip to the store with my grandfather. While we were there, I chose three possible choices – honeydew melon, kiwi, and ataulfo mango. We were close to wrapping up the trip when my grandfather pointed out the carambola, and I decided to go with that instead.
            The carambola looked and reminded me of a bell pepper at first glance, but the oval shape and long ridges that run along the fruit’s sides say otherwise. The fruit did not have a smell to it, so I assumed it to be odorless. Appearance-wise, the carambola’s exterior is dark yellow and felt waxy like a candle on my fingers. The ridges were thick and brown at the bottom. 


  The interior contrasts in terms of touch and color – smooth, semitransparent, and a light yellow, with yellow on the corners. There are also light brown seeds in the middle that you can get out with your fingernail. I got the carambola in the first place since it wasn’t a fruit I have heard nor tried before and the odd appearance interested me.

            After we purchased it and got home, I researched it online. It is called “star fruit” due to the inside resembling that of a star. It is a species of tree that is indigenous to Indonesia, the Philippines, and Malaysia. It is a light green color when unripe and is grown in tropical areas. It’s also said to have an oxalic acid odor, which I did not pick up.

     I planned to eat it plain since I wasn’t intending on cooking it for a recipe. I chose my preparation method by looking up on how to clean it online. I washed the fruit thoroughly in the water, making sure there was no dirt stuck in the ridges. I used a cutting knife afterwards to make a couple slices, which was easy to do. As I cut into it, the fruit sounded if it was a piece of paper being ripped apart. The inside of the fruit was no surprise to me since I figured it would look different compared to the outside.
        
            The fruit tasted sweet on my tongue, close to that of a red delicious apple. I noticed there was a trace of sour in there as well, much like that of a lemon. The texture was smooth and made it easy for me to pinpoint the tastes. The taste and texture weren’t what I expected, but I liked both nonetheless. I would suggest carambola if you like fruits like with this combination or ones rich in vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants! I would not recommend trying carambola if you have kidney problems or take prescribed medicine, since the neurotoxin inside the fruit might cause harm.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on this blog post, I enjoyed reading through it. You inserted a lot of detail into your post, which helps with the different descriptions and your step by step process from buying, to cutting, to eating it. I specifically liked how you included the warning about how people with kidney problems and prescribed medicine should be really careful with this fruit. It isn't a detail that is obvious for the public when they go to groceries store. Overall, great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Noah! That means a lot. I thought that warning might be helpful since I don't want anyone to have any problems with the fruit if they decide to try it.

      Delete
  2. Are there any other recipes you found with this fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any after researching and I didn't use it in a recipe. But I might look some up when I have the time.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of this fruit, but have never gotten the chance to try it. I will have to hunt for it at my local HEB. I like that you decided to try it plain since it is such a different fruit. Cooking it with something else would probably take away from your ability to pinpoint its unique flavors. I also really appreciate the notes at the end regarding health. Being someone with kidney problems, I will have to tread lightly when trying this fruit. The one suggestion I have is to move some of the photos farther down. I would put the pictures of the cut up fruit after you talk about cutting it up, but other than that, I loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittney! I'm glad that I was able to help you out with the notes. And good idea; I'll fix the photos soon.

      Delete