Thursday, July 25, 2019

Canned Spinach

I had never tried canned spinach before, I’ve had fresh spinach in a bag for omelettes or salads but never from a can. I had seen in before and it looked kind of gross since it was really wet from the water in the can to keep the spinach moist. It doesn’t smell good either, so that didn’t motivate me to eat it as well. I always avoided it growing up, but that was one of the only fruit/vegetables that I could think of that I haven’t tried in my life. 

When I did my research on canned spinach, I found out that it is fine to eat straight from the can and also after you cook it. I also used Time magazine as a source in my research. I found that canned spinach has a lower per-serving cost than fresh spinach and also offers a high content of vitamin C at an 85% savings. I was pretty surprised when I saw these stats since I eat fresh spinach pretty often and assumed that was a pretty healthy vegetable. 

I bought my can of spinach from the HEB closest to my house. I decided to put it in on a plate rather than eat it out of the can because there was a lot of water in there and it frankly grossed me out a little bit. 
When I tried my first bite, I didn’t hate it but didn’t love it. The taste was okay, not as bad as it looks or smells. The texture was moist as expected since it was sitting in water, it was also slimy. So overall the texture was my least favorite aspect of the canned spinach. The taste was do-able and it made me feel healthy while eating it. 

In the end, I’m actually glad I tasted this because it gave me a new aspect of spinach that I always avoided. Personally, I will probably never buy the canned spinach on my own because I won’t ever crave it. Nonetheless, if I ran out of food during a zombie apocalypse then I wouldn’t mind eating it, but let's hope that doesn’t happen. 


3 comments:

  1. why did you want to pick canned spinach instead of another type of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very similar experience with my food as well. The smell and look of food can be very overwhelming in a decision to try something. I wonder if eating it uncooked made it have a different flavor than if you were to cook it. Overall I think you did a good job of describing the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first sentence "i have never had" should either end with a period and not a comma.The " for omelettes or salads" should be " in omelettes and salads". I'd correct the "in" to "it" on the next sentence. The same sentence looked too long therefore seemed to be a run on. For this, I would split it into two sentences while not forming sentence fragments. Another suggestion is replace "fruit/vegetables" with "produce" since that word broadly covers fruits and vegetables. You could maybe use the word "flora" instead to add some sort of tone or vibe. I would change "stats" to "statistics". Lastly I think the 85 percentage sticks out for it being numbers and just spell out eight-five percent instead for better flow. "I also used Time magazine" is a fragment and should combine with the sentence before it. Another way you could fix this is by replacing the period with (;) (I don't know what that is called) on the sentence before the "I also used Time" sentence. Finally, in the sentence "the taste was okay" ended with a comma that should be a (;), if not than both sentences are fragments. Otherwise, I thought you did great on descriptions and the picture looks professional.

    ReplyDelete