Monday, July 29, 2019

Lemony Layered Cheesecake Review



        For this blog post, I was stumped on what to choose for the recipe. I was thinking about cooking a grilled cheese recipe that I had not done before or to try my hand at baking. My grandmother thankfully mentioned a lemony layered cheesecake recipe that she printed out, so I went with the latter (recipe below).


        I found this recipe appealing because it looked interesting and tasty from the picture, reminding me of a loaf of bread due to the size. It isn’t a favorite family recipe nor a different version of something I know I like. It is something totally new and different. There was nothing I found intimidating since the instructions were simple and easy to understand. The prospect of trying the recipe before I started baking it made me feel nervous, but I was sure that I would feel more confident about it later on. We got out the ingredients required for the recipe and decided to put the blueberries back in the fridge for later.



      We began following the steps, starting with the 9 x 5-inch plastic wrap to line the loaf pan with. We left four inches to hang over the pan. I then opened the heavy cream, which leaked around the rim when I did so. I cleaned it up with a napkin before pouring the cream into the 1 cup holder. The lids were already off of the mascarpone containers, so we used up the first container and half of the second to match with the suggested measurement.

       I turned on the electric mixer, beating the mascarpone and cream together until the cream was smooth.  The mixer was originally on “three”, but due to the speed almost making a mess on the island, I had to set it down to “one.” The lemon curd was added and folded into the cream. This process made me nervous, but I felt more at ease after I finished it. The cream was now a lemon color from the folding, so we added a quarter-inch layer of the cream to the bottom of the pan. We then broke the graham crackers in half and arranged them on top of the cream, pressing down to make sure they stayed in place. We repeated the process several times until we reached the top of the pan, having to use a couple pieces that didn’t break evenly.

  


   After the cake was covered with plastic wrap, we put it in the fridge for eight hours. Since the cake was made around eleven in the morning, we decided to take it out after dinner. We didn’t have a platter, so my grandmother inverted the cake onto a rectangular glass lid instead.  The cake was soft from the cooling process, making it easy to cut into.


   


The cake had a sweet smell and tasted the same. I could tell that came from the mascarpone and graham crackers. The heavy cream provided a rich taste that blended in well with the sweetness, and I could taste the lemony flavor from the lemon curd. The blueberries were sweet and the slight hint of tanginess added a burst of the same flavor to the cake overall. There didn’t need to be any seasoning or a longer cooling time because the result was the icing on the cake.

 My grandparents said that it came out really good and I was happy about their comments. I would definitely make this recipe again. I would also recommend it if you like cakes that are sweet and rich in flavor, or cakes with a lemony taste.

4 comments:

  1. Your cake looks like it came out great and tastes delicious. Overall, review on your recipe, I liked how you went into detail about how you felt. I would've been nervous too because I'm not experienced at baking, so it gives the reader a sense that this isn't the easiest food to make in the world. But great post again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that cake looks delicious! My favorite part about this entire post is your happiness with your grandparents' reactions - this make the post super relatable to the reader. I thought it was nice that you included the recipe at the beginning, then went into the details of your process throughout the post. Also, the pictures make it very easy to understand where you are in the process. The one comment I do have is that at the beginning, you state that you weren't intimidated by it, but you followed it with stating that you were nervous to start. I would just clarify those feelings a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Brittany! Especially for the tip as well. I'm afraid I can't add it in at the moment, but I definitely keep it in mind for the final.

      Delete