Thursday, July 18, 2019

Taste Testing cereal

   I taste tested three cinnamon cereals, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cinnamon Crunch, and Cinnamon Toasters. I decided to test these specific cereals because I love the cinnamon squares that is made, in the past I’ve eaten all three but have never have compared them at the same time. To keep my taste testing unbiased, I washed my mouth out with water and made my sister pour the cereals into separate bowls without knowing which brand I was tasting.

 

















I tried cereal one first. This cereal was really sweet, and I like my cereals pretty sweet but it was a bit too much. I could taste more of the sweet sugar over the cinnamon flavor. I was specifically looking for a nice balance between the cinnamon and sugar that is coated all over the square. The texture was crunchy and easy to chew. Each cereal is about the exact same when it comes to the appearance and texture of cereal. Overall, it wasn’t a bad cereal, just a too sweet to where it over powered the cinnamon and the actual cooked bread. 
 




















Cereal two looked basically the same as cereal one, but I could actually see that the square had stripes on it. So that was the only difference between the look of the cereals. My first taste was different from the previous cereal. Right away I could taste the cinnamon way more, it wasn’t hidden through all of the added sugar. This cereal had a nice balance to it. The texture of this cereal was the exact same as the previous cereal as expected, crunchy and easy to chew. Nothing is perfect but I found this cereal to be pretty close.
The final test with cereal 3 was different from the rest as soon as I saw it because it actually didn’t have that much sugar on it. I could see the baked breads natural color. When I first tasted it, I tasted about the same amount of sugar as cereal two but just a tad bit less. It was pretty balanced between the cinnamon, sugar, and the baked bread. The texture was the same as the rest of the cereals as well. The cereal looking like it had less sugar actually had an affect on my tasing because I really felt like it had less sugar on it. But nonetheless, it was still a great tasting cereal.
After taste testing all three cereals without knowing which brand matched up, my sister  revealed the brands to me. Cereal number 1 was the Wal-Mart brand, Cinnamon Crunch.  Cereal number two was Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, this is the most popular brand and from General Mills. The last cereal I tested, number 3, was the Cinnamon Toasters made by Malt-O-Meal. 
   After finding out all of the cereals, I can say that I wasn't surprised. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is usually my go to cereal over the other two brands even though they might be cheaper. I look for a nice balance with all my cereals, and the most balanced was Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The taste didn't disappoint throughout all three of the cereals. Cinnamon Crunch was just too sugary. Cinnamon Toasters was a little too light on the sugar, it really close to taking Cinnamon Toast Crunch down but I had to pick a favorite. 

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting choice for the taste test! Cinnamon cereal does taste good and I liked that you added a twist to the method by having your sister pour the cereal into the bowls. I was, however, confused at the beginning because you mentioned the name of the brands, but not the name of the companies, until close to the end of the post. If you're able to, I suggest editing the post a bit so it doesn't confuse other people. You don't have to do this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you think of looking at the different ingredient lists to see if that would have changed the texture of flavors that you tasted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that you taste-tested cereal. It’s definitely out of the box. I really liked that you pointed out how you liked sweet cereal, but the first one was too sweet for you. Also, I thought that you predicted what you would like before you started the test and addressed your predictions at the end when you “weren’t surprised” by the results. I think that it would be interesting, however, to do this test again and see how the cereal handles being in milk for a while (like the average amount of time it takes someone to eat a bowl of cereal - not for hours). I would like to know which one stayed crunchy and which one got soggy.

    ReplyDelete