Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Homemade Meatballs


Koy Brysch

        The recipe I am making is something my mom used to make for me and my brothers when we were kids. I remember her making them and watching but never tried making them myself. I am making meatballs. This recipe is pretty simple and is nothing special, but it is one of my favorite things she makes.
The recipe is pretty simple and only has a few ingredients. It consists of a pound of hamburger meat, eggs, and a few pieces of bread. How many eggs and pieces of bread really depends on your preference so it may take a few times to figure out which amount you like best.
The first step is to get a big bowl that will fit all of the ingredients. Put the meat in along with the eggs. Take a few pieces of bread and tear them into pieces and add them as well. Now comes the fun part, mixing it all together. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to use your hands. It can be a bit weird but is a good way to make sure everything is incorporated. As you are mixing it together it is important to add salt and pepper to make sure everything is seasoned. After everything is mixed, take a small handful and make golf ball sized meatballs.
To cook them we have always made them in a skillet. I put a small amount of oil in skillet and let it begin to heat up on medium heat. When it is ready I put the meatballs in it and started cooking them. I let them sit for a little bit until they are browned and then flip them over to cook the other side. To make sure they are cooked I took one out and cut it in half. If it is done I take the rest of the meatballs out and set them on a paper towel to rest and to get the extra oil off them, if not I let them cook a little longer.
The meatballs turned out pretty well. They could have used more seasoning but it has always been tough for me to judge that because I always feel like I add to much. I was able to make them in probably fifteen to twenty minutes so the cooking and setup time is pretty fast. My favorite thing about them is that I can use them in different ways. I can use them in different recipes so they have lots of options. I chose to put them in some spaghetti but they could also be eaten with mashed potatoes and gravy. They are good plain and good with other items. That is my favorite thing about them is that they are versatile. They don’t taste as good as when my mom makes them but overall, I was happy with the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you chose a recipe that is something that has been in the family and reminds you of your childhood. I also thought that it was really easy to follow the recipe throughout the post. The one suggestion I do have, though, is to structure the recipe section more like a recipe. I think it would be easier to follow the recipe, and it would look nicer. I suggest starting with a paragraph about the history, then bullet points with the recipe, then a final paragraph to close out the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did a really great job on this post. I appreciated how you went into detail with every step through the recipe. I liked how you explained how they tasted when plain and with other ingredients, it shows that the meatball itself is pretty good no matter how someone prefers them to be. Overall, great post.

    ReplyDelete