Saturday, July 13, 2019

Grimaldi's pizzeria review

          I went to Grimaldi's a coal brick-oven pizzeria at the La Cantera mall in San Antonio, Texas. I chose to eat and review this restaurant because it is my favorite pizza in San Antonio and close to my house.
         Grimaldi's has a small choice of food to pick from, it consists of only pizza, calzones, and salad. The big variety they have is in the kind of pizza they serve. This spans from a pizza called the Brooklyn Bridge to the Garden Pesto Pizza. The best part about this place in my opinion is that you can build your own pizza as you wish. On this visit, I choose pepperoni, mushrooms, and italian sausage. I also ordered a caesar side salad. 
         The price of the pizza isn't ideal. A large pizza is $18 plus more for each toppings. But in m opinion it is worth if for a nice family dinner or a date. The calzones are a little cheaper, around $15. And the salads are all $8. So nothing on the menu is cheap but I think it is worth the visit. This restaurant also offers wine and beer for guests, personally I'm not old enough to drink so I can't comment on the taste of any of the alcohol. 
         The atmosphere of the restaurant is a different throughout the day, dinner is the busiest and the loudest part of the day. It may take anywhere between 30 minutes to and hour just to be seated. But when it isn't dinner time the wait is usually nonexistent. The service is fantastic as every server I've had in the past has been a very good server. The pizza does take a little while to cook since it is cooked in an brick oven, it takes approximately 20-25 minutes to cook depending on which pizza or calzone was ordered. 
        To start off with the salads, the caesar salad is a great size to share. The bowl was big enough for a group of 3 to eat from. The amount of the dressing was very balanced, not too heavy and not too light on the salad. The shaved italian cheese was perfect, it gave a great extra taste then a usual caesar salad would. 
        Now for the main dish, the pizza. The pizza was nothing short of amazing. The pizza is naturally thin to start off with, which is what I prefer for my pizza. But the cheese is a perfect amount because when you eat it, the taste of the cheese isn't an overload. It is a nice balance between the baked dough, the cheese, the tomato sauce, and whatever toppings you choose. I really liked their sauce because it had a little bit of a sweet taste to it, which isn't common for pizza but in this case it works out very nicely. The pepperoni is my favorite part of the pizza, it has a rich flavor and is perfect for the brick oven pizza in general.
        Overall, Grimaldi's is a delicious pizzeria with a great atmosphere and one that I will keep going to for as long as I live in San Antonio. I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of pizza.

4 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job with your descriptions and your photo. It really shows what the place is like. Talking about the prices and the size of the dishes is also helpful for people who have not been there. Knowing the salad is big enough for multiple people will definitely help save people money instead of each person buying their own. It sounds like a good place to go to and I will try to eat there if I'm ever in that part of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Grimaldi's in forever! I think part of the reason we don't go much is because of the price. But you are right, it is worth it sometimes when you want more than Pizza Hut or Dominos. I appreciate the descriptions of the wait times throughout the day. However, I do have a question: Can you put yourself in line, then go walk around the mall for a little bit if it is a 30 minute, to 1 hour wait? Food for thought. Also, some of the post seemed rushed and it would have been nice to have a few more descriptions on the salad and the pizza, but I do like that you mentioned how big the salad is. Now I'm going to go eat some pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a perfect place to do the restaurant review at! The pizza certainly looks good, and from what you described about the place, it does sound welcoming. I did like that you described the difference in atmosphere during the day and at night. I might try out the restaurant sometime since I also am a fan of pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Grimaldi's and the pizza there was absolutely delicious! I tend to visit over in the Lacantera area often as my grandmother lives out there and for the price, i go there with either my girlfriend or several friends and we split the bill and make it cheaper on all of us. I believe this is a great restaurant to go to with several friends and is a great place to have done the review over.

    ReplyDelete