Thursday, July 23, 2015

Pluot



Fruits are an amazing aspect to food culture in general. They can be soft, tough, juicy, dry, bright, dark, and range anywhere in between.  Fruits can be great for a light snack, a unique accent on prepared meals, a creative infusion in drinks, and of course make excellent deserts.  With such a vast amount of possibilities that can be utilized with the usage of fruits, they easily become a very familiar and used part of our every day lives. Perhaps one of the most complex and fascinating things that have been done with fruits is the usage of cross-pollination to create hybrids of different fruits. When trying to decide on a fruit that I actually have not tried thus far, I found myself considering what would be the best hybrid fruit to review, as I wanted to try something that would be different than a typical parent fruit. Therefore, I ended up cutting into the very juicy and sweet pluot.

A pluot is a 50/50 cross-pollination between an apricot and a plum. This outside of this specific fruit has a very dark color and is smooth in texture similar to that of an actual plum. The outside of the pluot looks almost identical to that of an actual plum except it is a darker purple. Upon cutting into the pluot, the juices oozed out of the sides which made it look that much more appealing. The inside of the fruit had a very deep purple tint and had an almost meaty/tough texture.

I was curious as to how the pluot would measure up against one of its parent fruits so I also purchased an actual plum. The plum was brighter in color and it was juicy, but not quite as juicy as the pluot. The biggest difference between the two was that the plum was also not as sweet as the pluot. I personally really enjoy sweet fruits and this sweet and juicy aspect of the hybrid fruit put it among my top favorites. A few ideas that the pluot would be excellent for would be to make a pie with them, a fruit salad, an excellent sweet jam, or even just cutting it into small pieces with some whip cream. The options are endless with fruits like these and I know that I will be purchasing many more of these in the future.

Overall, though I only stuck to eating the fruit raw by cutting it open, there is no doubt that I will explore more possibilities with the pluot. Its well-balanced in texture with a tough inside and succulent juicy accent, its sweet and flavorful, and it has major potential to leave an impression on anyone who tries it. 

8 comments:

  1. The pluot sounds really good! I myself, don't like the texture of plums so I was interested in reading about the pluot. I think that it is rare to find the fruit that has the right amount of juice and sweetness but from the sounds of it you have found one! I think that this fruit would go good in a fruit salad or a shortcake with whipped cream! :) You did a great job of describing the fruit and the reason as to why you choose it. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried a pluot before, but it sounds really tasty! It might be good to label your pictures because the fruits look so similar to each other. It was a good idea to compare it to a plum. I wonder how it compares to an apricot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds really good. I wonder what it would be like in some of the dishes you mentioned. I would imagine it would be awesome in a pie. Was it easy to cut in to with it being so juicy or did it make a mess?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this! the hybrid fruit looks really tasty and the color of the inside is really cool. Its not too purple like a plum and not too red-orange like and apricot. It almost looks like a apple mixed with an orange or something. I might have to try this fruit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Immediately this looked like a fruit that I would want to try. Did you have any pictures of plums to compare. I think the last one is but i'm not sure. I'm colorblind and labeling the pictures would be a big help. where do you find the pluot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look really good! Was the skin bitter like regular plums? It looks mostly like a plum to me. Did anything about the taste specifically remind you of an apricot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like your pictures, and purchasing a plum for a comparison was really helpful. I'd like to know a little more about the pluot, though- the only descriptive words are sweet and juicy. Perhaps a little bit about the texture or a more in-depth description about the flavor profile would help. I've also never heard the phrase "parent fruit," so I wasn't quite sure what you meant when you used it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures make this fruit look really appetizing. The colors are very rich. I'm a little confused about which fruit is being represented throughout. It would have been cool to compare this fruit to an apricot as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete