Friday, July 10, 2015

Tavern on the Creek, part 2!

            Finding food options in Seguin as a vegetarian can sometimes pose a challenge for me. Without a proper kitchen, venturing out of the cafeteria usually means a choice between a Whataburger grilled cheese or scrounging up money for a veggie burger at Chili’s. But last semester, a few friends and I noticed what appeared to be a relatively fancy restaurant nestled among the trees and the trails of Walnut Springs Park and vowed to try it out at such time as we had all amassed some excess spending money (so, never). That place was Tavern on the Creek, and when I started thinking about restaurants to review, it came to mind first.
            Thinking back to its formidably lovely exterior and excellent placement, I decided to check out the menu online to make sure I could afford it. I was immediately concerned. Although there weren't prices listed, parmesan truffle fries and fried frog legs sounded like a disaster for my wallet- but I opted to go and check it out in person. I could not be happier that I did.
            Located right in the middle of downtown Seguin overlooking the Guadalupe river, it’s easy to find, and Tavern on the Creek is everything its name suggests. A gorgeous stained glass scene lines the windows, and the view of the river is stunning. The rest of the restaurant delivers, too: the glasses, the chairs, the jazz playing, all of it has a swanky but laid back feeling, and it’s elegant without feeling exclusive. A chalkboard inside displays the different local businesses that they buy from. I was even able to find the person who designed and made their glass panels on Instagram (yes, I was creeping).
          The entire menu sounded amazing, and even with the abbreviated lunch offerings, I had a hard time choosing between the eggplant lasagna and the Tavern Trio (tomato basil soup, a grilled cheese panini, and a small spinach salad). I ended up opting for the Trio so I could try out multiple items.* For the omnivores, their menu features a variety of burgers, many of which combine multiple cuts of meat. If you’re adventurous, they have a bison burger, but my mom ordered the Tavern Burger, which is a mixture of brisket and chop steak. The lunch menu features only three options for appetizers, but we were sold immediately on the truffle fries (which, in case you were wondering, will only set you back $4.50).
            When the fries arrived, I had a hard time keeping my parents away for long enough to take pictures, and after I finally tried them, I understood why. The parmesan was incredibly fresh, the truffle salt added a bit of a smoky flavor, and the fries were perfectly crispy. The food came very quickly, but we still managed to dispatch all of them before it arrived.
            My soup was simple. There were no unnecessary frills to it- it was exactly what tomato basil should be, tangy and fresh and just a little creamy with the crème fraîche mixed in. I struggled to leave enough behind to dip my panini in, but I was glad for the miniscule amount of self-restraint I found in me. The sole complaint I can find is that the salad had a little too much dressing, which, frankly, was good enough that I didn’t mind anyways. I am told that my mom’s burger is the best that she has ever had in her life, and I didn’t bother to muster up more restraint when it came to dessert. I haven’t managed to try the cheesecake yet, but we sampled every other option, and the crème brulee is my favorite. Fluffier than usual, and with a slight citrus hint, it’s worth the trip by itself.
          Tavern on the Creek is, hands down, the best restaurant in its price range I have ever been to, and has easily made its way onto the shortlist of my favorite places. 
          *I went back today for the eggplant lasagna. It was divine.


13 comments:

  1. I love creme brulee! Tavern on the Creek sounds like an excellent place to try! What did the panini taste like? Besides cheesecake and creme brulee, what other desserts do they have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic grilled cheese, but with softer, more homey-tasting bread that still has the crispiness you want from a grilled sandwich. It's a really nice update. Their other dessert options are chocolate coca cola cake (I am not a big chocolate cake fan, but this is excellent- dense but still soft, and not overpoweringly sweet, almost reminiscent of German chocolate cake but with coke glaze and chocolate icing instead of coconut) and a snicker doodle blondie (tons of cinnamon flavor, crumbly, topped with vanilla ice cream to balance the temperatures and textures- also great).

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of serving the french fries that way. The stained glass windows seem like they really add to the scenery. Was the service good? Do they put the dressing on the salad? If so, would it be better if it was served in a cup so that you would be able to manage how much dressing goes on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The service was excellent! Everyone was incredibly friendly and attentive and the food arrived quickly. They did put the dressing on the salad- asking for it on the side would be a super simple way to fix that issue!

      Delete
  3. I think it's cool that they buy locally. This looks and sounds like a classy place. Are there other menu items that may be seen as "adventurous" because I've always wanted to try bison, and I like experimenting with food that seems out there. I don't know a lot about Seguin, and this place sounds like one I need to try. It sounds like the menu has a lot of different options. Is it just a hodgepodge of different types of food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that really impressed me is that most of their dishes feature something unexpected- the mixed meats in the burgers, for instance. I think that's what they try to do: serve traditional items and incorporate upscale ingredients for a memorable dish. Even the fish and chips are served with a house sauce similar in texture to tartar sauce but with a very different flavor (we all stole it to dip our fries in because it was incredible- and speaking of fries, we think the ketchup is homemade, too. That's on our list of things to ask next time we go). So they've got you covered on trying things that are out of the ordinary. As far as "strange" things, I think the bison burger and frog legs are probably the peak.

      Delete
  4. Haley, I think it's funny we went to the same place and nearly had the same experience! What salad did you have and what kind of dressing was on it? I think the part where you mention finding the artist of the glass panels on Instagram is funny. Is he/she a local artist? If so, that could be an interesting detail to add. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The Tavern Trio came with a very simple salad, just spinach with vinaigrette, which was a nice light accompaniment to the grilled cheese. And I believe he is from San Antonio! Couldn't find out for sure.

      Delete
  5. I've always been saddened by the lack in variety of food choices in Seguin. I'm so glad there is a place in Seguin that offers more exotic food. I love Bison burgers! I'm so excited to check this place out. Great pictures and incredible descriptions of the scenery. How was the wait? Was there a lot of people? Was the service good? Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wait either time we went, and we went close to opening one day and right at close (oops...) the other. Still quite a few people, though. Service was excellent both days. Couldn't love it more!

      Delete
  6. From the first glimpse of the blog I was impressed with the photography. I haven't read it yet but am excited to read it.(I had to comment on your photos immediately) Your descriptions of the place are great and makes this sound like a must go to place. I was wondering if you had the cheesecake after you returned.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Didn't get to the cheesecake, but I'm sure I will in the next few months. It seems like a pretty popular item- I saw people order it both times.

      Delete