Thursday, July 23, 2015

Acorn Squash and Stuff


Acorn Squash and Stuff

                     

Walking through the Wal-Mart Produce section, I noticed an unfamiliar vegetable in the shape of an acorn (go figure). It was situated next to two other types of squash, and that is when I noticed it too was a squash. This squash is called Acorn Squash and it is a winter squash. It is usually stored in cool, moist areas but can be eaten at any time. It is mostly a watermelon- green with sporadic splotches of yellow and orange. There is a bumpy ridge-like exterior and a spiky stem on top (like a pumpkin). 
I happen to be on vacation visiting a friend who is a vegetarian. She has made various meals using acorn squash so I though I'd give it a go.


The squash had a short and simple microwave-ready recipe but I chose to take instruction from my friend and make baked acorn squash with quinoa salad stuffing. I don't like to eat raw vegetables often but for those of you who do, here is a nice Raw Creamy Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
1. Wash squash and peel off label. Cut squash in half. This will be really hard as the raw squash is tough- my friend had to help me cut it. No shame. It will also be really juicy so be prepared to get a little messy. 
2. Lay halves inside up. Scoop out seeds. Save seeds and roast them (optional). My first thought was that the squash sort of looks like cantaloupe without its seeds. It also had a very strong aroma that I did not care for; it smelled like rotten cheese. I was a little hesitant to continue, but I was assured the taste would be great.


For Martha Stewarts Recipe Click Image Below:
3. Lightly spray squash with oil. Add salt and pepper. Place squash halves face down on a foil covered pan.
Bake squash halves for 20 min. in oven set to 450°F.
 I watched a "How I Met Your Mother" episode while I waited. 
4. Remove pan and let food cool. If you can stick a fork through it, it's ready. You can stop here or you can add "stuff." My friend had a left over Quinoa salad with quinoa, bell pepper, black beans, onion, and sweet potatoes. I filled the cavity of each squash half with this mix. I microwaved the squash and mix for 2 minutes and added grated parmesan cheese on top.
It was delicious and I was told I did well for my first time! The texture of the squash was a little gritty (like eating a pear) but the overall flavor was really buttery. It tasted like regular yellow squash but had more of a potato consistency. The squash retained most of its original moisture and it was nice and fluffy. It became so much easier to scoop, and the exterior was very tender and slightly slippery from the oil protruding from its skin. We were awarded with a uniquely spicy scent from the blend of the buttery taste with the bell pepper and black beans (original smell forgotten). I liked the squash, this recipe, and the relatively short preparation time. I'd like to try more recipes and perhaps different squashes now!

Finished Product:




8 comments:

  1. Your pictures are excellent, and you explained the preparation instructions quite well! You also did a really good job of describing its appearance and texture. How does the taste of the acorn squash compare to that of other squashes? Your use of links was also effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey yeah I updated that part I thought I already had it in there, oops. It actually tasted a lot like yellow squash but because of its form and the way it was prepared I felt as though I was eating a stuffed potato. Very cool!

      Delete
  2. You did a great job in the way that you described the steps and the squash. I don't think that I would have been able to handle the initial smell. To me, the inside does look like a cantaloupe but with pumpkin seeds inside. Did you roast the seeds? On the layout I think it would have been more effective to keep the third step in line with the others but it was helpful that you added other options of recipes as well. This was a very interesting recipe! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the pictures you used in your blog. Ive never tried squash before, but i must say you made it look pretty appetizing in that recipe. Im a huge fan of potatoes so if it taste even a tiny bit like that i would be open to try it. I also thought the steps for the recipe were a good idea. Each step had a different picture which allowed me to see what it looked like after each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are great, and I think you did a great job of explaining how you chose this vegetable and this recipe. I like the way you used the links and described he taste, too. I think it's weird how the outside does look like a watermelon. Did you roast the seeds? We have roasted pumpkin seeds at Halloween in my house, so if I just wonder if they would taste similar. I think this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another really good post! My suggestion is mainly on the layout, which at first looked really appealing with your creative title graphic and nice pictures. When you got to the recipe part, it got a little confusing. You were talking about the baked squash recipe and then interrupted with the raw soup recipe, so when you began to list the steps, I wasn't sure at first which recipe it was for. I would just recommend rearranging the middle section a little bit to make the layout flow a bit better. Other than that, your pictures look excellent and the recipe sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures. I like the process concept of your pictures. The recipe instructions were clear and I like you used a friend for help I will have to try this as your pictures made it enticing. My sister inlaw uses a recipe where she uses brown sugar and maple syrup and puts it into the gutted squash then bakes it. I wasn't sure how the squash would be good without the sweet syrup but I will try it. I like that you say we were awarded with a scent. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are nice! However, I think there's so many it gets a little cluttered. Perhaps one of the two of the whole squash could go. Also, the recipes feel a little out of place, and I'm not sure what recipe you're using: just your friend's knowledge? Otherwise I really liked this- I've been wanting to try acorn squash for a while and it's cool to know that it's so easy to prepare.

    ReplyDelete