Friday, July 10, 2015

Tavern on the Creek: The New Place to Be in Seguin

I have unwittingly lived in Seguin for most of my life.  I grew up resenting the lack of fun things to do in my small hometown.  As a result, I usually look to San Antonio or New Braunfels when I want to go out.  However, this week I decided to try a spot closer to home.  Tavern on the Creek recently opened next to Walnut Springs Park in Seguin across from the future location for Seguin's new library.  I was curious to give it a try, though admittedly skeptical of what I would find at a small restaurant in little 'ol Seguin.  

I invited my mom and sisters to go with me, and together we pulled into the restaurant's parking lot.  As soon as I stepped out of the car, I was instantly struck by the perfect location of the restaurant.  I could see the patio had a perfect view of the park.  The restaurant also had a homey look on the outside, which carried into a bright, welcoming entryway. As we followed the hostess through the restaurant to our table outside, I also was pleased to see a good-sized crowd. I had a great first impression of the restaurant before we were even seated.  By this time, I had a strong desire to like the food.  I was optimistic by what I had seen so far, and was now rooting for the restaurant and my small town.  "Come on Tavern! Come on Seguin! You got this!"


Each choice on the dinner menu sounded equally appetizing and different. I was impressed to see that much of the food on the menu was locally raised and grown. I was also surprised to see such sophisticated sounding options like "Fried Frog Legs," "Grilled Pear and Fig Salad," and "Slow Roasted Duck."  In the mood for something comforting, I chose the eggplant lasagna. 

Our waiter had difficulty answering some of our questions about the menu, but made up for it with his enthusiastic friendliness.  He visited our table just enough to make us feel comfortable without overdoing it, and made our experience more enjoyable with snippets of conversation about  the food.  

Our food arrived looking delicious.  Mom's Tavern burger spilled over with caramelized purple onions and mushrooms.  Megan's salmon arrived looking pretty dressed in roasted pecans and arugula.  There was a noticeable attention to plating with all of our plates that we appreciated.  My lasagna was cooked in a personal cast iron serving dish, and Mom's french fries were nestled in butcher paper in a small wire basket.  After snapping a few pictures, I plunged my fork into my lasagna eagerly.  It had a delicious roasted flavor from the vegetables and all the comfort of warm melted cheese.  Needless to say, I was a happy costumer.  There was not a single thing on the table we were displeased with.  After tying everyone else's food, I was sufficiently impressed with Seguin's new restaurant.  My youngest sister, Emma had the Herb Chicken with broccoli.  It was the first time any of us had ever heard her say "mmmmm" in response to broccoli.  The fries that came with Mom's burger were addictive.  They were sweet and salty, crispy on the outside, and soft in the middle.  Those fries alone are worth coming back for!

Going to the Tavern on the Creek renewed my pride for my hometown.   I can't wait to go back and introduce the spot to my friends!

6 comments:

  1. All of the dishes you described sound delicious! How was Emma's chicken plated? What was the texture of the lasagna like? I'll need to give Tavern on the Creek a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tavern on the Creek sounds awesome! I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but I have heard many wonderful things about it. The french fries sound like they were cooked to perfection and had the right amount of salt on them, which seems to be really rare to find. The images that you included really add to your blog, they make it seem like its an at home type of restaurant and the dishes look so amazing that it makes me want to taste them! :) I will have to try Tavern on the Creek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of that burger makes me think I'm going to have to have one. The service was friendly, but how was quickly were they able to get your food out being so busy? What were the prices like? Your pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we had a lot of the same first impressions!! Which of the meals was your favorite? Was everyone else as happy as you were?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, your pictures are amazing! The pictures alone make me want to pay a visit. It also sounds like a warm and friendly place. How were the prices? Was is too noisy? Could you describe the taste of the other meals in a little more detail? Perhaps that is a personal request stemming from curiosity more so than a suggestion. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the enthusiasm that you had for this place. I like the photo of the sign. could you comment more about what you like about the plating?

    ReplyDelete