Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Watermelons, Avocados, and Cheese! Oh My!



When it comes to cooking, I’m the Cowardly Lion. Even though I love tasting new foods, I find the cooking process to be quite daunting. Because I’ve had very little experience in the kitchen, I decided to pick a simple recipe. I searched through my mom’s cookbooks, attempting to find something that even I couldn’t ruin.  My eye was immediately drawn to a cookbook entitled Soul Food Love by Alice Randall and Caroline Randall Williams. I thumbed through it until I stumbled across a recipe called “New-School ‘Fruit’ Salad.” The salad contained avocados, feta cheese, tomatoes, and watermelon. Watermelon and Feta cheese? I thought. What on earth could that combination possibly taste like? In the summer, we normally have all of these ingredients in our refrigerator, and when my dad grows tomatoes, our counter overflows, so I believed that the salad would be a perfect summer treat.



The vibrant colors of the salad reminded me of the snow-dusted poppy field in The Wizard of Oz. The salad was delicious! I ate half of it all by myself, and my dad finished the other half before my brother was given a chance to taste it. The watermelon is the star of the dish. The creaminess of the avocado and feta cheese complement the crunchiness of the watermelon. The feta cheese added a hint of salt, making the watermelon seem even sweeter. The avocado and the tomatoes acted more as texture; their flavors were overwhelmed by the watermelon and cheese. The dressing made the salad slightly tangy. 



The Wonderful Wizard of Food did not bestow on me the medal of courage for this recipe; however, I did succeed in finding a simple, healthy recipe that is absolutely delectable.


Here’s a picture of the recipe, taken directly from the cookbook:
 




First, slice the watermelon.



Then, cut off the rinds.




Cut the pieces up and place them in the salad bowl. Then, quarter a cup of cherry tomatoes. I used Juliettes from my dad’s garden.



Add them to the bowl of watermelon.


Slice the avocado. I learned that avocado is easier to scoop out of the skin if you score it first. I also think that the slices would have been prettier if the avocados were firmer.


Then, put the avocados in the bowl. Next, make the dressing. Pour three tablespoons of olive oil into a bowl.



Then, add the juice of one lemon. I substituted lime juice because I prefer it. Add two pinches of pepper and one pinch of salt and whisk everything together.



Pour the dressing onto the fruit and gently toss the salad.



Last, sprinkle it with crumbled feta cheese. The recipe calls for ¾ of a cup, but I used less because the salad didn’t look like it needed that much.





Enjoy!

            Here’s a picture of the full page from the cookbook for a little background on the recipe.





Randall, Alice, and Caroline Randall Williams. Soul Food Love: Healthy Recipes Inspired by One  Hundred Years of Cooking in a Black Family. 1st ed. Clarkson Potter, 2015. 171. Print.

6 comments:

  1. Audra, I think that you did and excellent job on describing the fruit salad and the poppy fields from The Wizard of Oz was a perfect analogy. The images that you used really focused on the food. The image of your ingredients was very well thought out. I too, do not get the chance to experiment with food but this seems like a very simple recipe. From the descriptions and images the watermelon seemed to be the main focus, did this take away from the other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are great and make following the recipe simple. This sounds like a refreshing and easy to make summer salad! I know your family liked it but did they have any specific comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your pictures, as i always do, because they are so colorful. they make me want to eat whatever you are talking about. Your recipes is put together very well and i would love to try this. Im new to fruit and cheese, but i ate a grilled cheese with pear last week so i think I'm ready for this. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! Wouldn't have ever considered using that combination of fruits and veggies. The number of pictures is a little overwhelming, especially since the preparation is fairly straightforward. Otherwise really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the thought you put into your pictures, and the creativity you always put into your posts. I noticed you used the word "then" quite a bit in your directions. I think you could make that part flow a bit better without using "then" so much. You might also want to describe what scoring an avocado means for people who might not know. Other than that, I liked the simplicity of this post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Wizard of Oz references. This looks and sounds so good. Good job with the suggestion on the avocado. What kind of difference do you think the lime substitution made in the taste? I think you did a good job, and this is easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete