Thursday, July 23, 2015

A New Golden Gem in the Produce Section

I am a huge fruits and veggies person.  Salads are one of my absolute favorite things to make in the kitchen because they are healthy, colorful, tasty, and easy to make.  Lately, I have ventured out in my veggie salad making to experiment with different ingredients such as fennel, radishes, and edamame just to name a few.  However, I haven't found anything recently to add to my fruit salad recipes.  Normally I just use whatever kind of fruit happens to be lying around in the kitchen, so the next time I found myself in the HEB produce section, I looked more closely at the fruit to see if I could find something new.  After glancing over a surprising variety of peaches and plums, which are both currently in season, my eye was soon drawn to a large crate in the middle of the aisle full of large, round golden orbs I had never seen before.  I looked at the sign, which read "Golden Honeydew Melons" and was instantly intrigued.  The normally pale green, super sweet honeydew melon is probably my favorite fruit, which is saying something since I love basically all fruit.  I took one of these melons home with me excited to see how a golden honeydew would compare.

The skin of the of melon was hard and tough, so it was hard to cut into at first.  When the two halves fell open, I was surprised to see the flesh inside was white rather than green or golden like I had expected.  Curious to see how it would taste, I scooped out the seeds into a bowl and cut off a slice. The flesh was not quite as soft and juicy as a regular honeydew, which makes me think this melon was slightly underripe, but the taste did not lack at all.  It was deliciously sweet, almost sweeter than the green honeydew, and struck me as a bit more tangy and rich as well.  I also think the white color is pretty and appealing.  It was so delicious, I nearly ate a quarter of the melon before I could stop myself.

I'm eating a large slice of it now as I write this post.  If there is enough left over by the time I finish snacking on it, I'll try adding it to one of my favorite easy, creamy fruit salads:


Ingredients
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 pound honeydew melon, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple rings in syrup, drained and cut into small wedges
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup cream of coconut
Pinch of salt
Directions
In a large bowl add the apple chunks, honey dew melon, pineapple chunks, dried cherries, yogurt, cream of coconut and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson of the Food Network 

I substitute the cream of coconut in this recipe with coconut flakes or coconut flavored yogurt for a sweeter take.  A little extra salt also doesn't hurt.  Trust me, melon and salt make an extra tasty combo.  I think I'm going to have to head back to HEB to pick up a couple more of these sweet melons because I don't foresee this one lasting long enough to make it into the fruit salad...

10 comments:

  1. I love honey dew melons! I haven't had the chance to have a fresh one from the store but I could only imagine that it is even sweeter than the ones sold at Starbucks in the container of fruit. I think that I would have expected the inside to be more of a green color inside as well.I think that it will be good in the fruit salad that you gave the recipe for. I'm not much on cherries or coconut but from the description of your fruit salad, it definitely sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honeydews are delicious! I think the golden ones might be even better than the green! For the recipe, the dried cherries can be substituted with Craisins, and using vanilla yogurt works just as well if you don't like the coconut flavor. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious! I'll have to try it! I like your pictures; they're very bright and colorful. Since you mention fennel, radishes, and edamame, it might be good to turn those words into hyperlinks, in case your reader wants to know more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audra! That's a good idea. I'll look into adding that in my revision!

      Delete
  3. I like your pictures. They are very bright and look like summer. I would like to know how they will taste compared to regular honeydew melons when you do get the chance to include them in your fruit salad. Besides the taste, what is the difference? Do you know what it is that makes them the different color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to see how they will taste in the fruit salad as well! I might try making the fruit salad before I do the revision so I can add a picture and that information. I'm not sure why they're a different color. I'll have to look into that when I do more research for the revision. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Your pictures are really nice, and you describe the fruit well! I think instead of copying the whole fruit salad recipe (since you've already linked to it), it might be helpful to provide some background on the fruit. Is it a hybrid? What's the nutritional value? Where's it from and does it have any common uses? Just anything interesting about the fruit that we might not otherwise find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think those are good suggestions and questions. I'll definitely try to provide that info in my revision.

      Delete
  5. I really like your pictures especially the first one; it looks as though it is floating. You describe the fruit very well and I think you do a good job in describing the appearance, texture and taste. I would also like to know a little more about about how this melon compares to the more traditional one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it does look like it's floating! I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. I thought it tasted even sweeter than regular honeydews. The flesh was firmer and less juicy, but in a good way because it was less messy to eat. The outside skin was also tougher, which made it harder to get into. Thanks!

      Delete