Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cheesy (Cheap and Easy) Chicken


As a 19-year-old male college student, there are two driving factors in every food choice I make—money and effort.  Basically, I look for something quick and easy that won’t bottom out my meager budget.  With this in mind, I scanned the cookbooks in my kitchen, and lo and behold, came across the 5-Ingredient Cookbook.  Since I do make a mean baked chicken breast, I decided to go straight to the poultry section where I found a Cheesy Chicken recipe that only called for one ingredient not already at my disposal.  Cheap, easy, cheesy, and chicken?  It sounded good to me.

  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup crushed cheese-flavored crackers
  • pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Instructions: Combine cracker crumbs and pepper.  Dip chicken in melted better, then spread with sour cream.  Roll in crumb mixture.  Place in dish, and bake at 375 degrees until chicken juices run clear.  Yield: 4 servings

First, I had to crush the crackers. The recipe didn’t offer any suggestions as to what would be the best way to do this, but luckily my mom was there to keep me from making a huge mess. Per her suggestion, I put them in a sandwich bag with a little pepper and crushed them with my hands.  I just guessed how many would make a cup, and after getting a little overzealous with my breading, I had to crush a few more to finish. 

Then I melted the butter in a microwave-safe dish big enough to dip the breasts in (even though that wasn’t pointed out in the recipe).
Next, I spread the crackers in dish and went through the last steps.  This was MESSY.  The instructions were vague, so I wasn’t sure how much of the chicken to cover.  I used a butter knife to spread it as evenly as possible, covering both sides of the breast.  I had to hold it up between my fingers to do this.  I then rolled it in the Cheez-Its, sprinkling some on the ends to make sure every part was covered, and put it in the oven. 
 
                                          
I checked the chicken around every 15 minutes since there was no specific bake time given.  After exactly 48 minutes, the middle was white and juicy, so I took it out and served it to my family.

 


When the dish came out of the oven, it DID look very appetizing.  I expected the Cheez-Its to be more brown, but they looked no different.  The chicken itself was juicy and tender, but as my dad and sister said, it really “just tasted like chicken…and Cheez-Its.”  I expected a salty flavor from the crackers, but that, along with the sour cream and pepper were completely absent.  It was really cheesy, but not in a good way—in a processed cheese cracker way (that I think would’ve come through no matter what brand of crackers I used) that left a dry aftertaste despite the juiciness of the chicken itself.  It wasn’t totally inedible to me.  (Although my mom did not finish hers, calling it “a very bad version of Shake ‘n Bake.”) It just looked much better than it tasted.  I don’t think I’ll be making it again.
 
 

This recipe taught me a good lesson—quick, easy, and cheap aren’t always good things. The recipe needed more specificity for me to feel comfortable, and Cheez-Its are still just Cheez-Its, even if they’re baked for 48 minutes.  I think the butter and sour cream idea is a good one, but if I do ever attempt something like this again, I’ll go for real cheese on top. 
 
 
 
 
 
Cassidy, Catherine, ed. Taste of Home 5-Ingredient Cookbook. Greendale, WI: Reiman
     Media Group, 2013. Print. Reader's Digest.
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I'm sad to hear that the recipe didn't taste as good as it looked. At first it seemed like it would turn out really good but I've never baked or cooked with the Cheez-its. Would it have been better with a different cracker or breading on it that didn't have the artificial cheese flavor on it? Was the main purpose of the sour cream just to help hold the crumbs on the chicken? From the way that you described it the sour cream did not add to the flavor at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to use sour cream? What was its main purpose? Other than that i think its a cool recipe. I have never used Cheez-its for cooking but it seems like a great idea as a breading to the chicken. I would probably enjoy it. Good job, Zach

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good that you described your deviations from the recipe and where you had to improvise. I'm also glad that you were honest that it didn't taste very good because on paper the recipe sounds great. The pictures could be a little bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always neat to hear a review of something that didn't go so well- it almost gives me more ideas about things to try than something that does go well. I'm curious to know if you think a different breading would have turned out really well, since you liked the sour cream/butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post and the way it was written. It feels like I was reading a story. I like that you put the recipe in the post and your right in that it was vague. I feel you used just the right amount of pictures. great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I initially thought this was recipe was cool because all of the ingredients are practical. I'm glad you were honest about the results. It makes me want to try this recipe and play around with the ingredients to improve on it. Your pictures were sufficient but I would make the three middle pictures bigger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your intro is funny. I also appreciate your honesty in the post both in your story and in your assessment of the recipe. The end also ties into the beginning really well. Do you think trying this recipe will inspire you try others, or did the disappointing outcome discourage you?

    ReplyDelete