Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Apple. Fritter. Bread.

I love breakfast.  My favorite kind of day starts out with a nice, slow morning over a large cup of coffee.  I decided I wanted to make something sweet to go with my coffee in the morning, and I came across this recipe for an irresistible looking apple fritter bread.  It looked exactly how it sounds: like a warm, gooey apple fritter donut had been put into bread form.  This bread is a treasure trove of cinnamon swirls and chunks of fresh apples topped off by a light glaze, and is surprisingly quick and easy to make. For the full recipe click here.


The first thing I did was peel and cut the apples into small chunks. The recipe is unspecific about what kind of apple to use, so I chose to use one Granny Smith, a tart apple probably most popular for baking, and one Gala, for a balance of sweet.  


I then dusted the apples with two tablespoons of sugar and one teaspoon of cinnamon, and mixed that up in a small bowl.  (This is the part where you get to reward yourself with a taste test).




Next, my sister, Emma, helped me mix together the dry and wet ingredient in separate bowls, which we then combined in a stand up mixer.  As with most baking, the dry ingredients should be added in increments into the wet mixture.  This ensures that everything mixes together smoothly with the added bonus of no spray of flour in your face! 

The last step before you're ready to assemble your bread is too mix one third cup brown sugar with another teaspoon of cinnamon in a separate small bowl.



Now it's assembly time! Half of the batter goes in the dish first followed by half of the apple mixture.  Sprinkle half of the brown sugar, cinnamon mixture on top of the apples, and then repeat.






Voilá! Look at the pretty layers! Make sure to stand back and appreciate your creation for a moment because the next step is to mess up those nice layers (don't worry it's worth it). To get the cinnamon swirl into the bread, you take a butter knife and draw swirly patterns down into the batter.  Don't go too crazy mixing it up.  There should still be some layering, but the cinnamon and apples should be blended down into the batter.



When you're done, the only thing left to do is put the bread in the oven and wait.  The recipe says to bake it for 50 to 60 minutes.  Ours took about 70.  You want to make sure that the middle of the bread is cooked all the way through.  To do this, stick a toothpick inside. If it comes out with wet batter on it, cook for another few minutes before checking again. When you get a clean toothpick, you know its done!

Behold the deliciousness.  It made the whole house smell like warm apples and cinnamon.







The glaze is a quick mix of powdered sugar and milk.  This is the finishing touch on the bread that really helps sell the apple fritter idea.








The texture of the bread is fluffy and cake-y like a muffin, but the glaze, apples, and cinnamon are all reminiscent of an apple fritter donut.  It can be eaten warm or cold, and is not too sweet.  My dad, a lover of apple fritter donuts, said he felt like he had eaten one after eating a slice of our bread.  This bread is definitely going to have a number of reshowings in our kitchen from now on!

16 comments:

  1. That looks soooo DELICIOUS! You did a really awesome job! I love how you added the link for the recipe and just added the steps on the blog. I think that the images really helped to add to your blog and the final product looks very appetizing! Did you wait for it to cool completely or did you eat it while it was still warm? I think that this is a recipe that I will definitely have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I couldn't wait for it to cool! I ate a slice while it was still warm, which was sooo good. I also tried eating it cold, and that was great as well. The texture was firmer cold, and reminded me more of a cake donut than a muffin. It's worth trying both ways!

      Delete
  2. As always, you do a wonderful job of describing the food's appearance and taste, and your pictures are really good! Maybe describe the glaze in more detail. It looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audra! I was surprised that the glaze was so simple. All it was was a half a cup of powdered sugar and two tablespoons of milk! It thought it added a nice, sweet finish.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful. Your pictures look inviting and you maintain an entertaining yet informative tone throughout. "This bread is a treasure trove of cinnamon swirls, and chunks of fresh apples topped off by a light glaze, and is surprisingly quick and easy to make." I love this sentence as it really sets the tine of the post. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good, and I love your description. As always, your pictures are great, but I feel like there's too many here and they're distracting, particularly because they make for a strange layout. I think maybe five or six would probably be enough to show how great it is and illustrate the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the pictures. I spent an annoying amount of time trying to get them into a descent layout, but I agree it's still awkward. I took so many pictures while I was making the bread I didn't want to leave them out. I'll try to fix that when I revise. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This looks soo good! I'm not even kidding it looks amazing! such great job with your recipe! your descriptions and pictures paint a beautiful picture of the apple fritter bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are great. You did a great job explaining what went into making this. Was there anything about the finished product or the steps in the recipe that surprised you? You make it seem so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a bit surprised by the muffin-y texture. It's more like a semi-sweet cake than bread really, but bread makes it sound more like a breakfast food. The texture kind of reminded me of banana bread.

      Delete
  7. Wow! This dish sounds like it tastes great and I really like that you chose it based on an attempt to add something new to your morning routine. You did a great job with your pictures and the way that you organized them with your step by step process. I think that it may be helpful if you talked more about the flavors of the apples you chose, more specifically how the Gala apple helped in balancing the flavors that you chose. Also, the step that you took to create a cinnamon swirl in the bread is really interesting. Was it successful and prevalent throughout? If you had a picture of that part I think it would be a nice touch. Other than that, I really enjoyed your post and I am personally going to save the recipe so that I can try it out myself. Great job at selling it in the last paragraph that discussed the versatility of the bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that! To answer your questions, Gala apples are sweet so I thought it would be a nice balance for the granny smith since they can be pretty tart. They seemed to work well in the end result. When I make the bread again I'll probably try to make even more swirls in the bread. This time, I was worried about mixing it up too much, but I think it could have used more. There really is no right or wrong way to do this. It just depends on how much you want the layers to be mixed together. I hope you enjoy the recipe! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Wow! This dish sounds like it tastes great and I really like that you chose it based on an attempt to add something new to your morning routine. You did a great job with your pictures and the way that you organized them with your step by step process. I think that it may be helpful if you talked more about the flavors of the apples you chose, more specifically how the Gala apple helped in balancing the flavors that you chose. Also, the step that you took to create a cinnamon swirl in the bread is really interesting. Was it successful and prevalent throughout? If you had a picture of that part I think it would be a nice touch. Other than that, I really enjoyed your post and I am personally going to save the recipe so that I can try it out myself. Great job at selling it in the last paragraph that discussed the versatility of the bread.

    ReplyDelete