Thursday, July 16, 2015

Taste Test: Store-bought tortilla chips

            In Texas, chips and salsa is a nearly-ubiquitous combination, and inevitably, whenever our family has guests, there’s a little basket of chips on the counter and a not-so-little bowl of salsa is right next to it. But whenever I peruse the pretty large selection of chip brands at HEB, I have the same question: what the heck makes a decent store-bought tortilla chip? Unsatisfied with the usual method of selection (buying whatever’s on sale), I decided to run a very small-scale test.



            I opted to try three chips that were labelled “restaurant-style," as I wasn’t sure what that meant. Are they supposed to be fresher? Thinner? Just all-around better? I had no idea. I grabbed a generic brand, a classic brand, and a bit of an off-the-wall contender. I, my parents and my brother all tried them at different times. I couldn't really conceal the brands from myself (they looked too different), but I kept them in the dark by putting each brand in a basket. Here's how they fared.

HEB Restaurant-Style Tortilla Strips
            We were split on the strip shape. I don't care for it. My parents were ambivalent at first, but eventually said they also thought the traditional shape was a little more appealing. My brother, who is 14 and in his “I’m so random” phase, preferred the strip shape because it was “different.” Take that as you will. My dad and little bro did mention that the longer, thinner style would be ideal for dipping into any sized bowl.
            They were relatively thick, which isn't what I expect from chips in a Mexican restaurant, so that surprised me. These had a decent amount of salt, which was predominant, because despite the grainy texture, the corn flavor was barely detectable.

Mission Restaurant-Style Tortilla Triangles
            My family had almost nothing to say about these except that besides the shape, they looked
and tasted just like the HEB kind.
            For the most part, I agreed- same thickness, same texture- but they were very light on salt and had a bit more of a corn taste. I liked that the chip itself had a stronger flavor, but thought more seasoning was needed.

On the Border Café-Style Tortilla Chips
            These looked substantially different- everyone noted how yellow they were in comparison to the other two very white chips. My mom preferred this, saying that even though it was a little artificial looking, it was appealing. They were the biggest of the three- so maybe not the best for dipping- and everyone mentioned that they were definitely the saltiest. While not overpowering, it was noticeable.
            Texture-wise, they were puffier and lighter, and I suspect they wouldn’t hold up well to heavy dips- they had the most broken chips in the bag. We tested them out with my salsa verde, though, and they do just fine with normal salsas. 


            Overall, we couldn't decide whether we preferred the Mission or HEB brand- they were too close to call. However, four out of four tasters agreed that the small batch of homemade chips I brought out afterwards, which I allowed to cool for hours in order to be fair, were leagues ahead of the packaged contenders—and this is despite the fact that they were unevenly cooked and oversalted (oops). They were crispier, had way more flavor and variation, and “just taste real,” according to my mom. The takeaway: if you have a few extra minutes to throw some tortillas in oil, short of burning them to a crisp, it’s pretty much guaranteed that your guests will like them way more than the average store-bought kind.

10 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you included a link to your salsa recipe, and I liked how you organized your post! Now that you've tasted different types of tortilla chips, have you determined which attributes constitute a good tortilla chip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audra! What I would think of as "restaurant-style" (and what I would like best, personally) is a very thin, flavorful, and smooth-textured, rather than bubbly or grainy, chip- and unfortunately none of these cut it. I'll stick to either extra thin styles or lime/seasoned ones from now on, I think.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have ever had a homemade tortilla chip. It's cool that you used your own against the others. What exactly makes it "taste real", like what flavors? What were you looking at exactly with each chip? What flavor did you taste with the H.E.B. brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really think a lot of it is a texture thing- it's smooth and crispy rather than grainy. It does, however, have a lot more flavor too- you can taste the corn more and if you like a more golden chip, can get a nearly smoky taste too. There honestly wasn't much flavor to any of these, but the HEB had the least.

      Delete
  3. I agree that it was really neat to add in your homemade ones! I like the part where you added in that they were over salted, it made me laugh because I love adding salt to tortilla chips at restaurants. Did you taste test help you learn about what makes the better brand? Did the price of the chips make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for any of these, so I don't think a more or less expensive "restaurant-style" chip makes much of a difference. I think I'll opt for thin chips and/or chips with seasoning or lime flavor from now on- not sure if that style is more expensive, but it'd definitely be worth it for a dollar or two.

      Delete
  4. I liked your post and how you connected it to your family and everyday life. Make sure you read through your post before submitting it. (Don't feel bad I need to do the same thing.) A simple check would have seen peruse instead of pursue. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate that! I actually did mean to use the word peruse there. :)

      Delete
  5. Did you ever find out what does constitute a restaurant style chip? This might provide helpful context for your taste test. Which brand of chip does your family normally eat? Would you buy any of these brands again? I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't even a favorite style, let alone a brand, which is what spurred the post for me. What's hard is that these are exactly the opposite of what I like about chips in actual restaurants: they're thick and grainy and didn't have much flavor. I definitely wouldn't buy them again- I'll go for extra thin kinds from now on.

      Delete