Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Twist on the Baked Potato


I was started on a gluten-free diet about a month ago, to help control my Chron’s disease, an auto-immune disease where the immune system attacks the lining in the gastro-intestinal tract, and causes inflammation, ulcers, fissures, and lots of other painful things. When starting on this diet, I was so lost and confused; I had no idea how to cook things that didn’t contain bread. Sitting down one day, googling recipes and what I could and could not eat, I came across a recipe called “Baked Potato Casserole.” Learning I could still eat potatoes (and French fries) was probably one of the biggest highlights of that week. Looking over the recipe, I thought “wow, I can actually do this one, I think.” I was intimidated only because I had never had to cut gluten from my diet, and I had never cooked intentionally without it. The recipe itself was not as intimidating as the lifestyle.

Shockingly, the cooking process went smoothly. It begins with dicing four potatoes and covering the entire pan with diced potatoes. The next step was cutting up raw chicken, seasoned with sea salt and pepper, and spreading it evenly on top of the potatoes. Then, after the chicken is in the pan, you spread cooked and crumbled bacon, and cheese all over the top. After that is done, I repeated adding potatoes, then more bacon and cheese, and chives on top for a little bit extra flavor. Thankfully, the recipe was pretty self-explanatory, so for someone who had very little experience in the kitchen, it was fairly easy to make. The hardest part was cutting up the potatoes. It took me a while to get the hang of dicing them, mainly because I had never really diced potatoes much less cut them up, so it was a little tricky for me. After about two potatoes, I finally got on a roll, and cutting up the last two potatoes wasn’t as hard. I put it in the oven for an hour, and covered the top with foil. After an hour, I removed the foil and let it cook for another 30 minutes, or until the cheese was completely melted. I didn't use paprika, garlic powder, or hot sauce because a plethora of spices makes my stomach hurt, so I decided to skip the spices and keep it as bland, yet still tasty, as possible. 

The finished appearance resembled a casserole (shocking, I know). Layering the bacon and cheese on top gave the meal a cooked look, with the cheese melted over the potatoes. I think without that extra layer of cheese on top, it would look unfinished and uncooked. Honestly, I did not think it would look as good as it did. It was my first time really cooking this meal, and I was sure I was going to somehow screw it up. The layers added depth to the look, and made it look larger than it really was. Having two layers of potatoes allowed for the chicken to not get burned and still have a moist and rich flavor.  The entire house smelled like a loaded baked potato, one of my favorite foods. It smelled so good, I was excited to try it and see if it tasted as good as a real loaded baked potato. Well, it did. The potatoes were soft, yet still had a thickness to them where they were able to retain their diced shape. The chicken, although it could use more seasoning, was soft and tender, and had a decent taste. The cheese was melted over the potatoes, chicken, and bacon, so it was like every bite had cheese somewhere on it. The bacon was cooked fairly crispy before placing it in the oven, but afterwards it was a little bit softer and cooked into the potato. The chives were only on top, and were just for an extra flavor. I wasn’t a big fan of the chives, and I don’t think it would make a difference if they were there or not. I ended up just picking them off because I didn’t really like them.

I would definitely make this recipe again, and I have. I love the way it tastes, and it is one of my favorite gluten-free recipes. 

Online recipe: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/f3/27/bbf327f4d4f6334ff1ae9763c169e6ef.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Love that you shared this recipe. I have recently been told that I am developing a gluten allergy, so when they told me that I got so overwelmed that I didn't even know where to start. You did an excellet job in describing the process and how the food turned out. I could actually see the food in my mind as you were descrbing it. I'm for sure going to give this recipe a try one day. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I love potatoes too so I definitely want to try this. I've never tried to make anything that is purposely gluten-free so I look forward to trying this out. You said the chicken needed more seasoning, was the paprika, garlic salt, etc supposed to go in the dish or just the chicken? You did a great job of describing it and making it sound extremely delicious. How small did you dice them? Do you think someone could make it but actually mash the potatoes all the way up? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds really easy to make and extremely delicious! Im curious what the texture of the cheese was lake? Was it crunchy? Or did it have a soft melt in your mouth texture? I enjoyed reading about the whole process of cooking the baked potato casserole. It sorta seemed like it had a really short cooking time which is always nice. Anyways great job on the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this! I may have to try this because it sounds delicious! I think it is important that you tell us how thick the chicken should be cut; cooking chicken is tricky (for me anyway), and I would like to know how thick or thin/large or small to make them. Great recipe though!!! And I'm happy your stomach didn't hurt after. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this recipe saved! Now that I've read how amazing it sounds I have to make it soon! You did great describing the whole process! I would like to know more about the bacon. Did you cook it before hand? What kind did you buy? Great job on this post! I'm glad you and your roommate are still sticking to your gluten free diet!

    ReplyDelete