Thursday, July 10, 2014

Blake's Cafe - An Old Place for Some; A New Place For Me



Blake’s Café in McQueeny, Texas is easy to find; it is right across the street from the McQueeny Fire Department on FM 725. The building is a historic building; years ago it was the first McQueeny post office. I chose the restaurant because it was close and I had never been there before. A friend and I were driving down FM 725 and we saw it, and decided to try it. The restaurant looked like a little shack on the side of the road. The exterior appearance is definitely deceiving because it did not look too appealing, but the food was amazing. My first impression was based off of the exterior and I was not too sure, but I had heard it was decent food, so we decided to stop and eat. Walking in there were not many people, which made me skeptical, but we got seated right away, which made me happy.
 The menu, was slightly boring, but it had all of the “American staples.” Drink choices were limited, so we decided on sweet tea to drink. The sweet tea was perfect; it had the perfect mixture of tea and sugar. It was the traditional southern taste of tea. In the South, sweet tea is a staple drink, and Blake’s Café perfected the taste of Southern Sweet Tea. The employees were extremely polite and nice, and service and delivery of food was prompt. The only thing we had to wait on was a check, but the waitress apologized. By that time, the place had gotten pretty full; so a wait was understood. We ordered a side salad, which was subpar; it was not terrible, but it was almost like something I could make at home. The burger, fries, onion rings, mashed potatoes, and fried okra were well above expectations. Everything was cooked to perfection, complete with the perfect blend of spices. The burger was cooked exactly to my liking, medium rare. The onion rings were a tad spicy, but they still tasted great when dipped in ranch. The mashed potatoes had a wonderful flavor; the texture was smooth, and they contained the perfect amount of pepper. Also, fried okra is not traditionally on a menu, so having the choice of them on the menu was exceptionally great. They were cooked rather well, and also had a great flavor. They were easy to chew, but had a lot of breading. However, the best part of the meal was dessert – peach cobbler. The peach cobbler was some of the best I have ever had.
It practically melted in our mouths, we could tell it was homemade. I will definitely visit this restaurant again, especially when I want the staple “American food.”


6 comments:

  1. I love eating at old places! I have been the Blake's Cafe several times and every time I have been there the food is great. I have never had their peach cobbler but it sure does sound amazing and will have to try it the next time I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good American food restaurant and this one sounds like a good one to try. Did they have anything that was out of the ordinary for the type of food they served? If so, what was it?
    It's also helpful to know that the waitstaff was friendly. There's nothing worse than a restaurant with delicious food and bad employees. I don't go through McQueeney very often, but I will definitely try Blake's next time I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food description is great! You should definitely try their frog legs next time if you have never had them! When you described the outside i was hoping you would add how is located right by the river. I always thought it was a cool feature of Blake's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does it compare to Dixie Grill? I don't know if I would drive out to McQueeny if it is the same quality as Dixie. I am also interested in what kind of burger you got. It sounds delicious. Maybe next time I am in the area I will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Blake's Cafe! I agree that the tea is perfect there! The chicken fried steak is pretty delicious as well as the burgers. Did you like the interior decorations? I always found them a bit interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Blake's! It is far better than Dixie Grill, Drew! I really like how you described the taste of things! Can you describe the exterior a bit more? What made it so deceiving?

    ReplyDelete