Thursday, July 24, 2014

Papaya: Not Just a Trendy Clothing Company



Papayas are a pear shaped tropical fruit that can be found in the HEB tropical fruit section, right next to other exotic fruits that exude a much more alien vibe. The skin is yellow and light green that has a rubbery look to it. It doesn’t immediately smell from the outside, but once you cut it open, you get a light smell of a mango-pineapple smell with a hint of light powder. I choose the Papaya not only for its relatively cheap price, but also because I had had most of the fruits in the produce section, with the exception of the tropical fruits. Normally, I try to avoid this section because I am allergic to certain mangos and have occasional food allergies. I decided to take a chance with the papaya because I have wanted to try one for quite a long time. I originally thought they were Guavas because HEB had mislabeled them, but after looking for them on the internet, I was perplexed to see what I grabbed was not a guava at all!




According to Julia Morton in her book Fruits of Warm Climates (1987), papayas are believed to originate from Southern Mexico. Due to high trade traffic in the region, the popularity of the papaya quickly spread throughout the Bahamas, Central America, and even as far as the Philippines. The fruit grows in tropical regions, with most commercial fruits being grown in Hawaii of the “Solo” variety. Other larger varieties from Southern Mexico exist as well. Papayas are usually eaten fresh with the occasional seeds because they contain a peppery flavor, however unripe papayas are nearly inedible because they have high concentrations of white latex (who knew you could find it in fruit?). If you would like to read an in-depth view of the papaya you can go to https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/papaya_ars.html, where this information was sourced. 



 
I plan on eating this fruit raw in order to get a pure taste of the fruit so that I can really tell if I enjoy it. I chose this method because I feel like cooking fruit or mixing it with other fruits really conceals its flavor profile. The fruit itself is very easy to cut with an almost rubbery texture; as soon as you cut it open, you can smell a sweet powder smell, and a flesh that looks like a salmon color with more yellowish flesh on the inside. The seeds look almost exactly like black peppercorns, and as Morton (1987) mentions, they apparently taste like them too. I am not too keen on seeds, so I scooped them out and threw them away. The taste and texture of the fruit itself is definitely not what I was expecting. When I first took a bite, there was hardly any taste to the fruit at all and the flesh gave off a powdery texture. It tasted like pure fiber or really unripe cantaloupe with a mango after taste. I decided at this point that maybe the fruit wasn’t totally ripe, so I put it in a bag overnight to see if it would improve. In the morning, I found the fruit to be riper. The taste was sweet with a slight hint of musk, but it still had a powdery aftertaste. The taste also held a slight tang at the end. The texture is smooth but still firm and slightly slippery. Although, after eating it the second time, I started having a slight allergic reaction (which may explain the tangy taste), so this will be the last time I try Papaya.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you had an allergic reaction to the fruit. I have never tried a Papaya but has been something I wanted to try. Great job in describing the fruit, when you said it smelled like a mango/pinapple smell I really thought it was going to be good because I love both of those fruits. I love that you added pictures so that we could see what the inside of the fruit looks like before we but it. Overall the blog was great with lots of information. Maybe the next time I run acroos one I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had papaya many times in smoothies and such, but never alone. I like most other tropical fruits so I'm curious to try it. Does it taste like most other tropical fruits or is it in a category of it's own? I know you said it was tangy, and I think of pineapples as tangy, so I'm wondering if it was the same. I also liked how you described the taste, very thorough. Although, it might be worth explaining a little simpler as some don't know how a musk taste might be. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job in describing the fruit. I also at first thought that a texture smell was weird "powdery smell", I thought, "how can something smell like a texture", but this is actually the perfect way to describe it. It is unfortunate that you are allergic to it. I am interested in why you decided to try this if there was a possibility of you having a reaction to it? Was it a whim and hope, or are you just a risky eater? haha! Could you compare the flavor to something that is, perhaps, more familiar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed you tried the papaya even though you had a feeling you might be allergic to it. Sorry you turned out to have a reaction! Your description was perfect and I liked that you included why you choice to eat it raw. I am not quite sure what a powder texture would feel like. I think you gave a little bit too much information from the sources. I would like to read a more simple blog. Nonetheless it was a good read and I learned plenty about a fruit I do not know about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always heard of papaya but I have never tried it, so it was great to read your review! Im curious, is the fruit offered year round? Is it dangerous to eat the seeds? And did you find anything about what foods/condiments go best with papaya? Overall great job on giving a description on your experience!

    ReplyDelete