Friday, July 11, 2014

Italian Garden: An Offer You Can't Refuse



Italian Garden is located just a few blocks off of the Square in San Marcos, Texas, nestled between a Taco Bell and a Chipotle; it definitely isn’t what you’re expecting when you hear about good Italian. Adding on to its incognito nature, the restaurant appears to be located in a double-wide, somehow misplaced by the last flash flood, which magically landed the restaurant in the downtown area. The interior is almost just as out of place as the exterior. Tables covered in red and white gingham in oddly partitioned rooms had me wondering if I was in fact in downtown and not in Kansas. Honestly, you aren’t expecting much from this shack besides a knock-off Olive Garden; however, a quick glance at the menu will quickly change your opinion of the misplaced, humble Italian restaurant.

Options range from Pasta, Chicken, and Veal, if you are so inclined. The selection of pasta dishes is rather run-of-the-mill stuff, but the meat dishes are where this restaurant shines. Personally, I like to be surprised as a diner when it comes to my meal. Any restaurant worth its salt can cook a decent ravioli, lasagna, or carbonara, which is why I like to test a restaurant’s fringe options to really gain a sense of whether it is worthy and well-rounded. So, I chose to get the Chicken Portofino, at only $8.95 it was a steal, as were their other similarly priced dishes.

All of the options seemed to be food that you would get from your friend’s Italian grandmother, and the service made you feel like famiglia. At one point, a dirty knife was dropped in my lap, but the waitress was more than apologetic for the action, although I completely understood the situation (it’s all a fragile balancing act). The food came out in about two breadbaskets worth of rolls (about 10 minutes). The one thing that I could not get over was the restaurants clientele. To my left, I had an annoying college girl whining about her rude friends, who later sent back her dish because “it was not what [she] was expecting”. In front of me, I had a screaming kid hiding under the table, whose parents could obviously not control. This was at four o’clock in the afternoon, so I can only imagine what it is like at eight.

The food was absolutely to die for. The Portofino’s brandy dill cream sauce was magical. The flavors fused so well together, and so did the aroma. My mouth immediately started watering as the smell of dill traveled to my nose. My date, who ordered the Chicken Cremora, had a similar experience. When I sampled their dish, it was just as heavenly as my own. Honestly, I think anything ordered at this restaurant will create a similar experience. The flavors were deep and full, yet light enough to not be overpowering. Each ingredient was able to shine in its own right, which is an impeccable feat. I do think that it was lacking in garlic, but overall, it was a very solid dish. I would definitely order this again.

Overall, I was really pleased with this restaurant, despite its less than handsome looks and lackluster atmosphere. I enjoyed a fantastic meal, and I will definitely be returning in the future to try their other dishes. I encourage anyone reading to give Italian Garden of San Marcos a shot.

9 comments:

  1. That's interesting that the place was so different from it's other surroundings. Did that put you off at all? Or how did you decide to eat here? You made the food sound lovely, and definitely something I'll have to look for and try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My date actually suggested we go there, so naturally, I agreed.

      Delete
  2. The food sounds amazing! I like when the menu has a lot to offer but also makes it so hard for me to pick something. The restaurant sounds like it has reasonable prices which to me is always a plus when eating out especially when the food it amazing as well. I don't go to San Marcos a lot but the next time I do go I'm going to give this place a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear someone else talk about this restaurant! I have been there several times, and had a great experience with the food every time. I would have to agree with you about the waitstaff and atmosphere though. I have never had either of the dishes though. After your review, I will definitely try them! What made you decide on that specific dish though? Have you had it other places so you could compare it?
    Also, the pizza and Veal are equally as delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to try it based on the inclusion of the dill. My other choice was going to be the Chicken Picatta with cappers, but I have had that at other places, and have never even heard of Portofino, so I decided to give it a shot.

      Delete
    2. I love how you described the dill cream sauce!! It makes me want to try the Chicken Portofino right now! How large was the serving exactly? Haha im a pretty big eater...

      Delete
    3. I had to take it home, and it was big enough for a small lunch the next day.

      Delete
  4. I am not really a big Italian food eater. When I go to Italian restaurants I usually just get the spaghetti and meatballs! I would appreciate it if you could go into a bit more detail as to what exactly the Chicken Portofino is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the OZ feeling you gave in the beginning!!!! HA! And like what Gabby said, why should someone who is not a big Italian food eater take the time to eat here? What makes it so special? What separates it from Olive Garden or Carino's?

    ReplyDelete