Thursday, July 24, 2014

When It Bears Fruit, Don’t Pick the Greens



I know we are supposed to be writing about a find from a market setting, but the vegetable/green that I have found both delicious and new this week is poke weed. I didn't find this at a market, as a matter of fact, it grows wild. People at the market will not sell it because if it is not cooked properly, it is highly poisonous. We found some on our farm last week and decided to prepare it today. Poke weed is a very common looking plant, about a foot tall with green ovular shaped leaves. The leaves are a bit shiny and vibrant green, very much like raw spinach. They emit an odor (once picked) that is not exactly pleasant, but it is unlike anything I have smelled before, so describing it is not easy. It is a mild odor, kind of like grass that has been highly fertilized. The mature poke weed plants grow purple berries on them that if consumed, “will make you sicker than a dog”, as per my father. I had never heard of such a green before, and was skeptical to try it. It could kill me after all. 
I have never picked so many leaves in my life. 
“Just get the young tender leaves, those are all that are edible”, my father said. 
The young tender leaves are classified so by the plant on which they are growing. If the plant is more than 1 foot tall, the leaves are either too tough to boil properly, or they are too ripe and poisonous. The really mature plants will bear fruit. Dark purple, shiny berries will sprout from the plant. These, were the untouchables. With a little bit of research, I found that “the berries are sometimes used to make jelly and pie”, though my family never has. After picking 3 industrial sized trash bags full of poke leaves, we brought them home and began to prepare them. First, the leaves must be picked through to make sure they are all whole (not eaten through or torn). We then washed each individual leaf very thoroughly. The next step in the preparation is to bring the leaves to a vigorous boil in a pot, drain in a colander and squeezing with a paper towel to get rid of any excess water. Repeat the process two more times, each time making sure that it comes to a vigorous boil. After the third boiling, drain one final time and pour white vinegar or pepper sauce (a handful of chili petines and vinegar) over it, salt and pepper to taste. 
The taste of Poke Sallet (the result of the boiling and preparation), is only described as a very mild spinach with a hint of bitterness like turnip greens (I think this is because of the vinegar. It has the same texture as boiled spinach, but with a lighter flavor. In fact, if there was no vinegar, I am not sure it would taste like anything at all. I had the thought, if it tastes like spinach, why not just prepare spinach? My family’s reply was: “poke is free”. 

Overall, I would eat Poke Sallet again, but the preparation process of it is a bit too long and complicated for me to want to prepare, but it is very good, and definitely a do-over when I have time to prepare it! 

5 comments:

  1. Your blog was extremely interesting and very scary to. I would be so scared to try and cook something that if I didn't cook right could hurt me. Although it does sound quit pleasing when you explain the finial results of it. I don't know if I will ever try and cook it myself but maybe if someone was cooking it who knew what they were doing I may give it a try. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Quite the experience. I'm glad you all prepared it safely though! You mentioned the berries are sometimes used to pies and jelly, so does that mean they are sweet? IF they are untouchable, how do you go about picking those? That confused me a little bit. I love that you compared it to spinach as that is a very common taste. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it terrifying to know that if you didn't cook it right you could be poisoned? When I read that I was scared for you! I agree with Suzanna, how did you go about picking them if they were poisonous? Did you use like a metal tool/transfer tool or what? Also, completely random, but how did your dad know so much about this plant? I thought it was really cool that you tried something most of us probably hadn't heard of and trying something that could kill you! This was cool. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family are so brave! Why did you pick so many of the leaves? What did your family think of the weed? Thank you for comparing it to spinach to give us a better idea of it's texture and taste. Were any of your family members reluctant to try it? This blog kept me reading until the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your story! You did an amazing job explaining your unique topic and describing the whole process. I am interested in why you decided to try this even with there being a possibility of you being poisoned? Also is there any way you could you compare the flavor to more things? I had a difficult time imagining the flavor.

    ReplyDelete