Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grandma's Buttermilk Hotcakes

       Out of all the homemade food creations I have had the pleasure of eating throughout my life; none have left me with as fond of memories as my grandmother’s buttermilk pancakes. If I was ever craving something light and fluffy yet thick and filling, this recipe was always there for me to provide complete satisfaction. These pancakes are made from a recipe that has been passed down from my great great Aunt Gene, making this recipe a family specialty that is at least a hundred years old!  Over the years the recipe has been tweaked and perfected into the most delicious pancake recipe I know. While these pancakes are not too difficult to make, the steps to make them “perfectly” are quite particular and should be followed carefully. I remember many fun mornings when I was younger working alongside my grandma and learning to make beautiful stacks of these pancakes.
       This recipe has taken the definition of “pancake” to a whole new level, and the preciseness of the combination of ingredients is the key. The first step to make these golden brown delights is to mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl and to stir until they become a perfectly homogeneous mixture. Next, crack the eggs in a separate (but equally large) bowl and beat them well, then slowly adding the buttermilk and oil. After the wet and dry ingredients are ready, you must pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir. The combined batter should be mixed until a thick, slightly lumpy texture is achieved.
The pancakes are finally ready for the griddle (or pan!). It should be noted that if you are not using a non-stick cooking surface, a small amount of canola oil should be applied to prevent the pancakes from sticking. Use a 1/3c measuring cup to apply the perfect amount of batter to the 375°F cooking surface. Once bubbles begin to cover the top of the pancake it is time for the moment of truth! Carefully use a spatula (my grandmother uses a metal one) to slide under the pancake then gently flip it onto the other side. After this point, the pancake will be perfectly cooked in about 30 seconds.
       There are a number of ways to top these delicious treats, but I assure you there is no topping that will not taste amazing with these pancakes. I personally enjoy a stack of about 5 or 6 cakes with a quarter inch thick slice of butter between each of them (and one on top of course). I then drizzle Mrs. Butterworth’s Syrup on the top until the entire outside of the stack is moderately covered and there is a small pool around the outside of the stack. My grandparents enjoy their pancakes garnished with various fruit preserves or jellies that have been heated and poured on top of their stacks of pancakes. The traditional topping used by both my grandparents and great great Aunt Gene is a sweet peach preserve made fresh from homegrown peaches. Even though it’s not my favorite, I must admit that it is still a great way to add some sweetness to the soft fluffy cakes.
       Whether you add butter and syrup, peach preserves, or just eat them plain, you’re going to enjoy these pancakes. Every time I make them I can’t believe how such a simple recipe can produce such astonishing results. It’s the unbeatable combination of warm, soft, and fluffy texture that gives this recipe the right to be passed down for over a century without one change.

Grandma's Buttermilk Hotcakes
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c buttermilk
2 eggs
4 Tbsps. Canola oil

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to write down this recipe! I have never made pancakes from scratch before so I would be interested in trying this out. I love how well you explained the recipe but I think going into a little more detail about the pancakes would be good. As some cakes are really fluffy and sweet while others are thinner and more bland, how do these rank? They sound delicious though! I'm not sure if a pancake could be bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only made pancakes from scratch like once, and it turned out to be a total disaster, so I'm really glad you shared this recipe. I think maybe telling us more about the sizes and why they can come out differently, and if it's the batter or just how your pour it or what. I really like how you described every step, it had me picturing how to make it instead of just reading about it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pancakes sound amazing! I like how you started the bog off with a little family history. I always like to hear about old recipes being passed down. I think you could have added a little more about the pancakes appearance after they have been cooked. I also liked how you added multiple ways to eat the pancakes with the different toppings, those are some good suggestions. You did a great job and I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! You should consider this recipe stolen... I think you could have added a little bit on the taste and texture of the cakes. How are they different from the box? (other than homemade is always better). I really like your description of the process. It is clear and focused, and I now have an idea of what exactly to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you used a family recipe! I am not a big pancake eater, (I know I am crazy) but the way you described them made my mouth water! Would you recommend using a griddle or a pan? Is there a difference at all? I like how you mentioned other toppings that could be used for the pancakes! Personally I only like syrup. Thank you for the recipe! Living the 3 guys is hard when there are so many mouths to feed, but this sound simple yet filling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made pancakes from scratch because I was just too confused about the chemistry involved with getting there right texture, so I am really glad I know about what to add now. Does your family ever feel that the altered recipe is somehow not the same?

    ReplyDelete