Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's all Greek to Me



Today, I will be testing Fage Greek Yogurt Strawberry Flip, Chobani Fruit at the Bottom Strawberry Greek Yogurt, and HEB Fruit at the Bottom Strawberry Greek Yogurt. There will be five different categories. Creaminess will be based on how creamy I perceive the product to be, all of these products contain 0% fat, which means they have to rely on the culture in the yogurts. Second, I will be rating how well the yogurt fills your mouth; full bodied yogurts that fill the mouth will score the best. I will also be testing the sweetness—sweeter yogurts will get a lower score.  The strawberries will also play a role in the taste test. Yogurts containing strawberries that taste or feel almost fresh will score the highest. Finally, I will be testing for tanginess, as I believe it’s a sign of a good culture. 


To test the products, I will be blindly testing them. A friend will place a yogurt in a cup and mark either an ‘A’, ‘B’ or ‘C’ on the corresponding cups and yogurts. A new spoon will be used in each yogurt and water will be had in between each of the tastings. I will take about 2-3 spoonful’s of the product getting a representative tasting of everything the yogurt has to offer. Each yogurt will be stirred to mix in the fruit with the yogurt to make consistent bites.  
 

The first yogurt I will be trying is Yogurt C, The HEB brand Fruit at the Bottom Strawberry Greek Yogurt. The mouth-feel was runny and had the texture of normal yogurt. I feel like others may like this texture because it has a familiarity to it, but I didn’t feel like it was a Greek yogurt, so it scored  very modestly in that category. The yogurt was also far too sweet for my liking, and scored the lowest in the bunch. The yogurt did have a very nice creamy taste, but it could have been fuller. The strawberries were very firm and chewy, and were actually my favorite in the bunch. The yogurt also didn’t have hardly any tang, which disappointed me.  




The second yogurt was Yogurt A, Fage. This yogurt had a very creamy taste and was able to fill the mouth very nicely. It had a very nice volume that was not over bearing, but not limp. The sweetness was almost perfect. It wasn’t overly sweet like candy, but it also wasn’t so plain that it makes you cringe. The strawberries are where this yogurt really failed. They were the consistency of an overcooked noodle, but they had a great flavor that paired very well with the tanginess of the yogurt. Overall it had a nice balance of strawberries to tang and sweetness. 


The third yogurt was Yogurt C, Chobani. The mouth feel of this yogurt was more like curdled milk than yogurt, which was really disappointing because I had heard great things about the yogurt. It was nicely balanced when it came to sugar, but it was still too sweet for my liking. The strawberries in this yogurt were absolutely abysmal. I was only able to find one chunk of strawberry in the entire cup, which was extremely disappointing, and the strawberries tasted artificial. This yogurt did manage to give a nice tang on the aftertaste, though, which gave it a slight bump in my ratings system. 
The scores:

Creaminess
Mouth-Feel
Sweetness
Strawberries
Tanginess
Total
HEB
6
6
2
7
3
24
FAGE
8
8
9
5
9
39
CHOBANI
4
3
7
1
7
22

5 comments:

  1. Wow, very nice review! You were very consistent with the terminology throughout the whole blog, which made it very easy to follow, giving me a great idea of the different yogurts. I, myself, enjoy Greek yogurt so I really liked this review. I have never tried Fage, but after your review, I definitely want to! I noticed that you labeled two of the 'C', not a big deal but it might make it kind of confusing for the reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Greek Yogurt as well and have always been a fan of Chobani, although I am not a big fan of their strawberry flavor. I also have never heard of Fage. Can you get it anywhere or is it only at specialty stores? I agree that sometimes Chobani tastes a little tart and sour for "yogurt." Overall, I liked how this flowed and I really enjoyed how you added a chart so we could see how you scored each of the yogurts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fage can be found at HEB, Walmart, or any other grocer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im going to have to try Fage, since I normally just buy Chobani. I wonder how this taste test would go if you only used fresh strawberries for the test?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is about as thorough as they come... Was there a reason you chose greek yogurt?

    ReplyDelete