Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Crispy Cheddar Chicken

I find all my recipes for dinner on Pinterest and lately I have been searching for dinners that include cooking chicken breasts. I came across a recipe called Crispy Cheddar Chicken and it immediately grabbed my attention. The picture posted made it look so delicious yet simple. Once I read the recipe I realized I had done something like this before but the breading came prepackaged. I decided to do this recipe because it had me try a few new things, like using Ritz crackers on my chicken. Reading the recipe it looked easy enough if I just followed the steps. The only part that I thought might have been difficult was getting both the cheese and crushed crackers to stay on the chicken as the breading. Nonetheless chicken covered and baked with cheese sounded amazing to me.  Step one was to cut the chicken into 3 tenders. Next I dipped the chicken pieces in milk, then shredded cheese, and finally our crushed up Ritz crackers. As I predicted, the cheese would not stay on when I would try to put the crackers on, but as I read down the recipe, it said not to worry about it. The recipe called for a pan to be sprayed with cooking spray before I laid the chicken down, but I decided to lay foil down instead.  I knew the chicken would make a mess and stick to it made the clean up process easier by laying down foil. The recipe said to sprinkle dried parsley on the chicken, but my sister is allergic to parsley so I had to leave it out. I covered my pan in foil and popped it in the 400 degree oven for 35 minutes. While the chicken was baking I started on the sauce. I poured a can of cream of chicken soup in a small pot, added 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and 2 tablespoons of butter, and heated it up until it all melted together. When there was 25 minutes left on the oven I uncovered my chicken and put it back in for 10 more minutes. When it was done the chicken came out golden brown with a few dark spots here and there, but the chicken was nice and juicy on the inside. You could smell the Ritz crackers and see the melted cheese all over the chicken and pan. I could tell it was going to be scrumptious. I laid out three pieces for each of my family members and poured the sauce on the chicken and told them to eat up. Everybody loved it! They would not stop complementing me on how delicious it was. I did cut the cooking time short by 10 or 15 minutes to keep the chicken moist, but the chicken was cooked thoroughly. The sauce tasted way better than I expected. I did not think its flavor would complement the crispy cheddar chicken the way it did. My favorite part was the melted cheese on the bottom of the pan. It may not have been crispy but it was delicious! Other than the cooking time the recipe was perfect. My family was already asking me to make it again! Feeding a family of 10 is hard to do, especially when you have picky eaters. This recipe was enjoyed by all of us and I will definitely be cooking it again. I highly recommend it to beginner cookers mostly because it is so simple but flavorful.

6 comments:

  1. I actually have this same recipe pin on Pinterest. I'm glad to hear that someone has tried it and it came out great. You did a great job in describing the recipes and the steps, you made it very clear. I like that you added the picture it's good to see what the final product looks like. The only thing I would change is adding some paragraphs. Overall excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything involving crispy chicken! One thing I don't think you mentioned was how many this recipe served. Was it enough to feed all ten people or did you have to double it? I have a much smaller family, so we are using cutting recipes in half, so it would be helpful to know if it would be necessary. You described it very well and made my anxious to try it! Another question I had was if you seasoned the chicken at all or if you just relied on the breading and all to do the job. Excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this same exact recipe on Pinterest but I've never tried it. The way you described the ease and tastiness of it has me wanting to try it! But I am wondering if it scared you a little to cut the cooking time down a little to keep the chicken moist. Do you think it would have completely dried it out if you hadn't cut the time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe sounds fantastic! I love how all of your detail about the cooking process was able to be informative, and also sound fun! Im curious how the chicken got a few dark spots? Especially when you took the chicken out early? Could you please explain that a little bit better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this, and it is delicious! Could you explain your reasoning for cutting the cook time short? Did you check it before serving it? Were you apprehensive about this choice? Obviously it turned out well for you, but do you have any advice for someone who it may not have turned out so well for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the sauce had you turned off? Was it the processed part of it or somethin else?

    ReplyDelete