Friday, July 11, 2014

Chama Gaucha Brazilian Bar and Grill: Restaurant Review


San Anotonio's Chama Gaucha Brazilian Bar and Grill is a must-taste. Now, being from South Texas, I was never one to shy away from anything with “Bar and Grill” in the name. Granted, most places that I call “Bar and Grill” serve beer and burgers, but Chama Gaucha caters to a more luxurious palate. I first heard about Chama Gaucha from one of my father’s coworkers, and was a bit sticker shocked when I heard what to expect to pay. At approximately $50 per person (Brazilian food does not come cheap apparently), it is more of an experience than a regular meal for a small-town person like myself. 

At first sight, Chama Gaucha looked like many commercialized restaurants I had visited in the past (Olive Garden, Chili’s, etc.), but when the valet came to park my car I knew something was a bit different about this place. When I got over the shock of a valet service at a restaurant, my guest and I walked inside where we were greeted by the hostess who had quite a thick accent. The tall ceilings and very warm, clean, contemporary design of the place was a pleasant surprise for someone like me looking for an escape from the same tired “down-home” feel of most South Texas places. Since there was a bit of a wait, my guest and I sat in the bar until our table was ready. After a 30 minute wait, we were finally being shown to our table. Before we could get there a few of the servers were waiting to pull out our chairs and place our napkins in our laps. Fancy.

There were no menus in the establishment. The way this restaurant works is we were seated and then our drink orders were taken (my guest ordered tea, and I ordered a drink from the bar and tea). After being seated, we were directed toward the salad bar for a vast, and I mean vast selection of salad trimmings. There were at least four different blends of greens, shaved cheeses, olives, different meat salads; enough toppings to fill a 10x10 square bar (on all four sides). We then return to our table to find full glasses of tea which never emptied while we were there. We could not drink enough tea. Once we were settled into our seats, we were taught how to use the buttons on the table. Cardboard chips with a red and green side let the servers know when the table was ready for meats. The servers quickly come by the table and graciously describe the meat that that particular waiter is serving, and we, as guests were to say yes or no. I must say, it was the most impressive display of service I have ever experienced. All of the staff was so gracious and generous and expedient.

The food was excellent also, absolutely incredible. All beef products served was served quite rare as if they simply seared the meat on all sides, but someone looking for a more cooked meat would be accommodated. Beef (sirloin, filet, ribeye), chicken, and lamb made up the selection of meats we were able to choose from. The meal is served with three side dishes, garlic mashed potatoes, grilled plantains, hot rolls, and endless trips to that amazing salad bar. I loved the mashed potatoes and bread, they tasted like I expected garlic mashed potatoes and hot rolls to taste. The plantains, on the other hand,  were a bit too bitter for me. They were quite reminiscent of unripe bananas, but mushier in texture (like chunky pudding) They were interesting, but not really my cup of tea. Needless to say, I will be returning to Chama Gaucha Brazilian Bar and Grill when my pocketbook allows.

5 comments:

  1. You seem to get a lot of food, but you said it was pretty steep prices; what made you okay to try the restaurant? Also, since this is a more expensive place; would you consider this place a "first date restaurant?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you walked away quite full! I'm glad you mentioned the expected price. After reading about the valet parking, it was nice to be informed that it was on the nicer side of things. What other meats besides beef were there, if any?
    I definitely got a strong image of what to expect and if I am ever in San Antonio looking for a nice place to go, this will be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im very curious about the plantains! Could you expain their taste alittle bit more?? What was the texture like? The appearance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of my friends have been there and loved it as well. Can you be more specific when talking about beef products? Also what meat did you end up eating? Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite sides to order so this place sounds really tasty to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of meat was it? I am usually fine with chicken and beef, but I don't usually care to eat veal for ethical reasons. Do you happen to know what kind of beef it was?

    ReplyDelete