Thursday, July 24, 2014

You Say Potato, I Say Yucca

Working at HEB there are always new things coming across my scanner. I have probably seen all of the produce that we have to offer there. I decided to take a trip across the street to La Michoacana. Although their produce department was much smaller than HEB’s, there were a few items that I had never seen before. The one that grabbed my attention was the Yucca root. It had brown rough looking skin and was as hard as a potato. It was about eight inches long and two inches wide, and had the shape similar to a tube, but odd like a sweet potato. I honestly decided to buy it because it was so ugly and I was interested in what it would taste like. I did some research and discovered that it is native to Brazil and very rich in starch.
I went up to a woman in the store and asked her what I could do with it. She told me it was very similar to a potato and her children love when she makes Yucca fries. She said you can bake it, fry it, boil it, and mash it. I asked how do I make the Yucca fries and it was actually quite simple. At that point I had decided I was going to make Yucca fries, but Yucca fries alone as a snack. I would follow the woman’s instructions and hope I get it right. I chose to make Yucca fries because I have tried normal French fries and sweet potato fries so this would be something familiar with a new ingredient.
First on the instructions was to peel the Yucca. I thought this process was going to take awhile do to the roughness of the skin. To my surprise it was as easy as peeling a potato. Once the Yucca was peeled I could see that the inside was white with a light yellow tint. The next thing to do was to cut and boil the Yucca enough to where you can stick a fork in it. The Yucca was hard to cut through mostly in the center, and reminded me of a sweet potato. It took about 30 minutes for my Yucca to boil which surprised me. For some reason I thought it was going to boil quicker. Once boiled I placed the Yucca on a cutting board and when it cooled down enough to handle I cut each piece in half because the woman said there is a tough center part though the Yucca that I would want to get out. It was difficult finding this because I had no idea what I was looking for. When I finally got the center out I started cutting the Yucca into small fries, laid them on a pan, and sprinkled some salt and pepper on them. With the oven at 350 degrees I popped the Yucca in. The woman did not say how long to bake them, but she said that they will change to a golden brown when ready. I took them out after about 10 minutes to flip them and left them in for 10 more minutes.

First bite into the Yucca fries and I knew I put too much pepper. The texture was strange and the Yucca had not taste or smell to them at all. After about two fries in I pushed my plate aside. I was hoping for more of a soft texture but the Yucca was too dense and chewy for my taste. They were not crispy, but I suppose I could bake them longer. If I try Yucca again, I will probably try frying my fries rather than baking them. But as for now, I’m sticking with the potato. 

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard or see that. It's crazy that you bought it because it was ugly, that generally pushes me away from food. Why do you think baking them made them too chewy and dense instead of making them soft and mushy? Do you think you would ever buy it again and try baking it another way, or no? This was really interesting especially since I have never heard of it at all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that! It probably wouldn't be anything I would pick because of its appearance, although it does look like it belongs to the potatoe family. I'm a big texture person so this will be something I may really have to push myself into trying. Overall great job and like that you added pictures so we could see what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Yucca but never tried it, so thanks for the review! Why is it important not to eat the middle? Is it dangerous to eat or just gross tasting? Also from any research you did, can Yucca be eaten alone or does it have to be cooked like you would a potato? Very nice job on describing the experience and cooking method. It is pretty ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have hears of a yucca plant, but not this! Very interesting. I also really like the fact that you are honest when you say you tried it because it was ugly. What made you want to try something away from HEB? Why a potato or something similar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is neat how similar a yucca root actually looks to a potato. You say that the yucca root was hard. How hard was it exactly and what was the texture most similar to? Could you cook them longer? And are there yucca mashed potatos?

    ReplyDelete