Friday, July 11, 2014

I Am Usually Not One to Taste and Tell, But...

I decided to make a trip to New Braunfels to try Bonzai, a Japanese steakhouse that also serves sushi. Two of my friends and I went together, one of which is the person who recommended I try Bonzai. It was relatively easy to find, right across from the HEB in New Braunfels, but located in a strip of small dining joints so you might miss it if you are not looking for it. Driving up to the restaurant all I could see were black windows with red trimming and a sign across one window saying “OPEN ALL DAY.” When we walked inside there was a hostess waiting at a podium who instantly asked whether we would like to sit at the hibachi grill or on the restaurant side. I’ve already experienced hibachi before and decided to stick to the restaurant side thinking I was only going to order sushi. When I sat down I started examining my surroundings taking note of the very dim lighting which I expected upon my arrival due to the tinted windows. I noticed the Japanese art along the walls of the restaurant leading to the sushi bar. 
Only a few moments passed before our waitress came to take our drink order. Looking at the menu I noticed that the drink menu was quite extensive which impressed me, but I decided to order a sweet tea. The food portion of the menu was separated by lunch and dinner hours. Placed within the menu was another single sheet menu of 36 of the sushi rolls they served along with a picture and description of each roll. As I was scanning through my appetizer options the crab poppers, which is a fried ball of rice with crab and cream cheese stuffed inside, and fried calamari drew my attention. Although all the other options sounded tasty, I chose to order the crab poppers because it was something I had not tried before. 

Narrowing down my sushi options was much more difficult than the appetizer and drink! I knew I wanted to try something with crab because that is my favorite seafood, so I narrowed it down to the Ebi Ebi Roll and the Sunshine Roll. Lucky one of my friends decided to get the Sunshine Roll and I ordered the Ebi Ebi Roll along with the Chicken Teriyaki Hibachi dinner plate. My other friend ordered 2 rolls, the Texas Roll and Fried Calamari Roll. Along with our sushi came a bowl of clear soup which was so simple but delicious. Our appetizer came out quickly after our order, but was not as good as I expected it to be due to the bland flavoring. Our entries came out as soon as we finished with our appetizer, perfect timing. The rolls tasted as beautiful as they looked and each had a distinct flavor that set them apart from each other. 

Our waitress was wonderful, constantly checking up on us and refilling our drinks. The hibachi tasted amazing; you could taste how fresh the vegetables were and the flavors of the vegetables and chicken complemented each other well. If I had to recommend a roll to eat I would choose the Sunshine Roll, because the roll was bursting with flavor; it was simply amazing. I will definitely be returning to this restaurant not only because the staff made me feel welcome, but also because the food was exquisite. The flavors were on point, the food came out quickly and beautifully, and there is such a wide variety to choose from, I’ll keep going until I try them all!



6 comments:

  1. I like how you described the restaurant. It made me feel as if I were actually there. I'm not a big sushi eater, so what made this place better than most others you have been to? The appetizers weren't great you said, so were the rolls better than the appetizers or was the food just mediocre?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the neighborhood right behind Bonzai and I eat there all the time. It has great food and the people there are super friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being that I am not a sushi eater, I am not familiar with the different types of rolls. What is inside a Sunshine roll or the Ebi Ebi roll? Were all the options with raw meat or were some cooked? I am never sure about sushi, so I would have lots of questions about it. The pictures look great though, and I like that you explained the atmosphere so well. When I see a restaurant with dark windows, it always concerns me so knowing that it is nice inside is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad you did a review of Bonzai because I have always wanted to eat there but I never have had the chance! I will definitely get the Sunshine Roll when I go. What was your second favorite sushi and why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested how many types of rolls there are. I love sushi, but I like variety, and would probably order a few different rolls to try for the table. Were you able to tell how fresh the fish was?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so here's the thing, sushi disgusts me, but the steak side of things has me interested! What were some of the other dishes that were not sushi?

    ReplyDelete