Friday, July 11, 2014

JJ’s Café: The SOUL of Seguin’s Soul Food

The other day I found a cozy little restaurant called JJ’s Café during one of my hunger-led searches for a good hearty lunch. Located right on the corner of Highway 123 and East Court Street in Seguin, it caught my eye for more than one reason. While in a very visible location right across the street from HEB, the café is actually located in the same building that has housed what seems to have been a dozen restaurants over the years. My girlfriend and I decided to give it a try with hopes that maybe this café had something special that has kept it afloat for the 2 and a half years it’s been open.

As we drove up, we noticed the relatively full parking lot. We took this as a good sign. The outside of the building was not unpleasant; it had a modest structure and was painted a lovely turquoise color. While a little quaint, we decided to give it a go. We aren’t the type to judge a book by its cover anyways. I found the interior to be much nicer than the exterior in its decor. Upon entering the café we were welcomed by a very friendly hostess and the delicious smell of homemade cooking. The café exhibited a comfortable atmosphere. Our server greeted us warmly, handed us menus and promptly brought our requested drinks. As we waited though, I noticed that sound seems to echo very easily inside the building, so it was a little noisy. In addition, we saw that an older couple, perhaps regular customers at the café, had a dog with them under their table. While the fact that the café allowed animals inside didn’t bother us personally, this may be a consideration for those with allergies to furry animals. We decided the café is not the ideal “first date” location, but is more than suitable for casual dining and family gatherings.


If good food is what you’re looking for, JJ’s is the place to be. The menu is absolutely fantastic and has a huge variety of choices that will satisfy any Texas-sized craving. Heck, the title of the menu is “Serving Comfort Foods, Burgers, and More”.  In addition there were great appetizers and healthy options available for those with a smaller appetite, and our server was helpful in providing recommendations for some of the popular plates. After ordering, our main courses were served in no time. This Texas Soul food spoke for itself! We certainly got more than our money’s worth in quantity and quality. My chicken fried steak was cooked to perfection and everything we were served had a great savory flavor. The freshness of the ingredients, especially the vegetables, was impressive and noteworthy. While we devoured the delicious food, our server paid close attention to fill our glasses as needed and brought the check at a reasonable time. The dessert options were enticing, but we were happy and full after our meals.



I undoubtedly give JJ’s Café two thumbs up! The friendly atmosphere, fantastic service, and great selection of traditional Texan soul foods made our lunch experience memorable. It’s easy to see that this establishment has been able to thrive because of its dedication to quality service and food. Once you go, it gets you hooked, and I reckon it will continue to do that for many years to come.




5 comments:

  1. I like that you added in that animals were allowed. That is definitely something people should know if they have never been there. I'm sure it would be a shock. I've passed by JJ's quite a bit going to and from walmart/heb but I've never actually stopped in and ate. I also like that you included there are healthy options. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you did a review on a Seguin restaurant. As I have only been attending TLU for one year, I still don't know a lot of stuff in the area. (I go home a lot too!) I feel like you gave me a great idea of what the restaurant is and what to expect. It would have been helpful to know what your girlfriend got so the reader would have a wider variety of what they serve and how it tastes. As it is though, I will definitely try this place out in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to JJ's! My friends and I wondered in there the first time because we have seen all the other restaurants close down after less than a year of being open! The burgers are made to perfection and their pot roast is delicious. I have never really been drawn to their desert menu though. What did you find appealing on there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was the cream gravy on the Chicken Fried Steak? I am always interested in whether it's from a packet or whether it is homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story, the first time I ate at JJ's I had really dramatic makeup all over my face, I'm talking gold eyeshadow, bronzer from ear to ear, and lip stain. I had to play a god in a play and that was their costuming choice. Haha. I was a little surprised that the staff didn't look at me funny. It was like they see that kind of stuff on a guy all the time. Maybe they do... Anyway, I found JJ's to be a lot like Blake's (I think it may be the same owners...) just less tasty in my opinion. What is it that you like about it? What sets it apart from say, Blake's or even the Dixie Grill?

    ReplyDelete